Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max boost?

Junior SCH Member

Max boost?

I have a A-trim (9#s) on my all stock 92 LX. I am at 335rwhp right now. Want to get it to 400rwhp. I have a Vortech aftercooler that I have not yet installed, and enough fuel to get there. Can I get a smaller pulley and take the boost up to approx 13#s with the aftercooler on there, or is the A-trim maxed out? I would like to avoid changing heads, cam or intake if possible.
    I currently do not have a good intake for the S/C. I'm guessing that improving that into the fender might help a little bit also.

I have a AEM for ECU.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert
    I have a A-trim (9#s) on my all stock 92 LX. I am at 335rwhp right now. Want to get it to 400rwhp. I have a Vortech aftercooler that I have not yet installed, and enough fuel to get there. Can I get a smaller pulley and take the boost up to approx 13#s with the aftercooler on there, or is the A-trim maxed out? I would like to avoid changing heads, cam or intake if possible.
    I currently do not have a good intake for the S/C. I'm guessing that improving that into the fender might help a little bit also.

I have a AEM for ECU.
    You need to find out what the max impeller speed of the A-Trim is and then what pulley sizes you have now to make sure you do not over-spin the SC. Thats pretty good power now on a stock car with just a SC though. Getting 400rwhp with just an A-Trim is going to be pushing it. If you do not mind cutting/trimming to install a Powerpipe that should get you around 1-2lbs more boost. I do not know alot about the aftercooler but I'm thinking that with it you should be able to run a more aggressive tune and get more power that way. What do you have for a fuel system now and computer?

EDIT- just seen the AEM part.

You should definitely be able to get 20-30 more rwhp from a more agressive tune and the powerpipe with the aftercooler...but someone else might have a better idea.
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

Junior SCH Member
    I just want to make the most that I possibly can (reasonably) with the A-trim. I'll make the rest on the bottle, if necessary. I have a very good N2O setup, but just not trying to use it yet.

I am swapping out my current fuel setup for an A1000, 60# injectors, Aeromotive rails. Should have plenty of fuel available.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    When a A-Trim gets to about 10psi your just building boost but no real advantage. The impeller only moves so much air and your super heating the air needing a intercooler which will drop your boost 2psi and become a restriction since the A-Trim impeller only moves 700cfm before becoming a heater fan. This is why the S-Trim was designed then the T-Trim and so on.

Junior SCH Member
    So best bet would be to go ahead and get a S-Trim, pop on the aftercooler and take it up a couple more psi, right?

Correct

Junior SCH Member
    So best bet would be to go ahead and get a S-Trim, pop on the aftercooler and take it up a couple more psi, right?
    Or get a "T" Trim which isn't much more $$ & day light & dark diff between them power wise IMHO!!!

Just remember that the T-Trim will move you Boost Rpm higher up the scale which may not be the best for performance on the street. What good is 10psi of boost on a daily driver if it does not happen till 4500 rpm.

Junior SCH Member
    i'm in sort of late on this, i just picked up an a-trim two days ago myself, i was told that you can send the head unit back to vortech and they'll swap out the guts of the a-trim and put in the strim impeller/transmission setup in it, i'm thinking this would up its efficiency quite abit.

Vortech would convert A-Trim = S-Trim for $700 but that has been many years back so I am not sure what the new price is.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Vortech would convert A-Trim = S-Trim for $700 but that has been many years back so I am not sure what the new price is.
    Todays retail is $1022.95. However, U can go thru 1 of their dealers & get it for less. Prob around $800+shipping!!!!

Junior SCH Member
    I'm ready to do that right now. Who's a dealer?

Junior SCH Member
    I would like to avoid changing heads,
    Those stock heads are preventing you from getting to your goal. I'd spend the 800 bucks on a set of aluminum heads. They flow much better and shed heat faster.

Also consider alcohol/water injection instead of an aftercooler.

Run Evans Cooling coolant.

These mods will allow a more agressive tuning and easily allow you to meet the goal of 450Hp at the crank with 9psi.

I am swapping out my current fuel setup for an A1000, 60# injectors, Aeromotive rails. Should have plenty of fuel available.
    That is completely unneccessary. There are tons of folks making 550HP with the stock rails. The SN95 rails flow 40% more fuel than the Fox rails but you'll need the later 2 bolt regulator. Go 36 or 42lb injectors and a Pro-M Maf.

Again, HEADS!
    Last edited by Tominator; 11-12-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    I'm ready to do that right now. Who's a dealer?
    Go to Vortechs web site. They have a dealer listing by state!!!

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominator
    Those stock heads are preventing you from getting to your goal. I'd spend the 800 bucks on a set of aluminum heads. They flow much better and shed heat faster.

Also consider alcohol/water injection instead of an aftercooler.

Run Evans Cooling coolant.

These mods will allow a more agressive tuning and easily allow you to meet the goal of 450Hp at the crank with 9psi.

That is completely unneccessary. There are tons of folks making 550HP with the stock rails. The SN95 rails flow 40% more fuel than the Fox rails but you'll need the later 2 bolt regulator. Go 36 or 42lb injectors and a Pro-M Maf.

Again, HEADS!
    I've got a Mr Freeze on the car, just not using it right now. Have the aftercooler already, sitting waiting to be installed. Also have the whole fuel system sitting already, just waiting to get on the car. Have the N2O off my old car also, so there is a lot that can make it onthe car before I get heads. I really would like to wait to get the heads until I drop a new bottom end in also. Might just keep collecting up some parts over the winter and do it all at once. I am about to grab bigger injectors. I use a MAP with my AEM, so I don't need the MAF.