Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sn-2000 pulley

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Is the 6psi max because of no Tuning Device to control boost and timing. I run 9.8 compression and 14psi of boost all day long without a issue and Ford gives us crap for head bolt location. The LT1 other than the OptiSpark and Hyper-crap pistons is a lot stronger engine. If the 6psi is your max no reason to even spend more money on a larger blower. You said your going Forged parts that is why I asked about your max boost.

Junior SCH Member
    oh i AM going way over 6psi this winter. Im going to forged dished CP pistons. So my compression should be right around 9.5:1. If anyone knows of someone that could make a bracket to fit a NOVI id stick with that, if not im might as well just go vortech and sell what i got

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Is the 6psi max because of no Tuning Device to control boost and timing. I run 9.8 compression and 14psi of boost all day long without a issue and Ford gives us crap for head bolt location. The LT1 other than the OptiSpark and Hyper-crap pistons is a lot stronger engine. If the 6psi is your max no reason to even spend more money on a larger blower. You said your going Forged parts that is why I asked about your max boost.
    At boost levels of 8PSI or higher. The LT1's usually have ring blowby issue's and knock. As well as the head gasket can sometimes be another issue. While 9:8 is high , we are running even higher and I am sure you are running some type of air cooling method at that level or at very least changed your internals.

Yes your right you can probably run higher than 8 PSI with the right tune but the tune might also require retarding the timing enough there really is no performance to gain.

As for the opti, they have got a worse rep then they should have. It actually a very precise ignition device that in 90% of the cases goes 100K without issue (especially in the 95 + vented versions), The only design flaw in relation to them which really isn't the opti's fault is the water pump location being directly above it. This means anytime you pull the water pump to gain access to anything in that area you soak the hell out of the opti not to mention the weep hole is directly above the opti meaning any moisture making its way past the bearing goes right into the distributor.

I am actually considering making some type thin aluminum cover for my unit since the thin rubber seal in the middle of the unit doesn't seem to be all that efficient at keeping moisture out.

I also would not really consider any of the LT1 internals crap. You can semi safely take stock internals to right around the 600 mark. Thats pretty impressive to me with a engine factory rated at 275 - 305 Horse.

Junior SCH Member
    yes, but...........if im going to be going over 8lbs and i already have the forged internals and dished pistons, i should be just fine going to 10 or 12

Junior SCH Member
    As long as you lower the compression and are cooling the air. I don't see why you would have a issue as long as you have a custom prom in place.

Junior SCH Member
    yeah itll be tuned for the occassion. I just need to get the rest of the motor so i can start getting the machining and start assembling. Not sure what im going to do about the blower yet