Thread: Blower question

Junior SCH Member

Blower question

How much boost should a sn 92 make on a 5.0 if the crank pulley is 6.25 inches and the blower pulley is 4 inches. Just need a ball park figure, and also wonderring what would be the max boost that this unit can make and is it worth investing my time in this thing, just started playing around with boost.

Any input would be appreciated.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    5psi unsually max at 8psi.

Junior SCH Member
    Where can i buy pulleys for this thing, i was thinking a 7'' on the crank and 3.75 on the blower. My car doesn't rev much over 6500 rpm. the reason i'm trying to make this older unit work is because it was pretty much free so hopefully it will give me that little extra i'm looking for. I'm presently freshening up the motor (rings and bearings) and installing an intercooler, so will see what happens.

Well with those pulley sizes you won't be able to go over 4500rpm before you over spin and toast the blower. If you try a intercooler your going to drop another 2psi. You might be heading in the wrong direction.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Well with those pulley sizes you won't be able to go over 4500rpm before you over spin and toast the blower. If you try a intercooler your going to drop another 2psi. You might be heading in the wrong direction.
    Sounds like it is time for a NOVI 2000/S-Trim/ or P1-SC!
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

Junior SCH Member
    What would be the ideal pulley sizes to run 8 psi. Is this blower even worth the time and effort. Let say i run 8 psi with an intercooler, so really 6 psi, wouldn't the difference in air temp make make up the loss of 2 psi or should i throw this thing in the garbage and go turbo right away?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaw69
    What would be the ideal pulley sizes to run 8 psi. Is this blower even worth the time and effort. Let say i run 8 psi with an intercooler, so really 6 psi, wouldn't the difference in air temp make make up the loss of 2 psi or should i throw this thing in the garbage and go turbo right away?
    Don't bother with the intercooler and use w/a injection instead. No loss of boost and alot more timing....
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

I 2nd Water/Meth injection. The blower is a good unit and it would not matter if you went with another entry level unit you would be at the place. Your wanting a lot considering you have not even tried what you have. Put on the unit first, then start moving up. You will need another $1k in supporting parts as soon as you leave the 6psi range no matter what you have.

Junior SCH Member
    what is water/meth injection and where do i buy it, also i'm hearing people talking about an oil cooler, would that be a good idea. I'll tell you's a bit about the car. Its an 89 coupe with :
    3:73
    T5
    southside lowers and ajustable uppers
    5.0 30 over
    afr 165 heads
    performer intake
    1.7 roller rockers
    F cam
    full mac exhaust
    70mm pro flow mass air and matching TB
    under drive pulley

The car runs 12.80's on motor and played with nitrous a bit and got a best of 11.89 on a 150 shot but i'm trying to stay away from the bottle because of past experiences(never enough and always end up burning something up).
    so i took off the nitrous and installed this paxton i picked up from another mustang i bought and re sold. The car seems to want to move more but everytime i stay in it for than 5 seconds the damm thing blows out the pcv or the intake gasket at the back and showers my fire wall and exhaust with oil, so thats why i'm freshening the motor, assuming its my rings letting blow by threw because i can't find anything else that would cause this problem.( i re sealed the intake 3 times using better gaskets and then just silicone and still it pops it out, so i think afreshening up wont hurt. its weird though, the car didn't have any oil leaks at all before the paxton. So thats the whole story.
    I would just like to run mid 11 and still be able to drive it reliably.
    Last edited by Ironjaw69; 10-22-2006 at 11:55 PM.