Thread: Thinking about KB...

Junior SCH Member

Question Thinking about KB...

Hello.
    I have a '94 GT Mustang and I am sick of running 15 flat ET's.

I would really like to get either a KB 2200 or an older 1500.

What kind of RWHP ad ET's can I expect with these blowers? My motor is a bone stock (302) mated to a WC T5 tranny.

Also, any other advice I should know before I start buying?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    75 hp with the 1500
    100hp with the 2200.
    Go to the library and get old issues of MMFF and 5.0 these test have been done for 15 years so data is out. It comes to how far you want to go and if you think this is it then get a KB if not get a Novi 1000 or Vortech SQ. These cost less and give you more power options.

SCH Member
    I have installed a 1500 and 2200 on foxbody stangs. On a 91 GT with the 1500 kit seeing 8lbs on stock motor it ran a 12.9@108 in full weight/street trim. With Edelbrock heads, 1.7 Cobra rockers, Holley Systemax 1 lower, full exhaust, stock cam, stock bottom end, 90mm LMAF, 42lbers, and KB chip it ran a 11.75@119 at 10lbs of boost. I later added a 2200 to this car but never ran it at the track again.

It depends what you want really. I love the Kenne Bell SC's as they are super reliable and give you unmatched low end power. They tend to make alot of heat, especially without a bypass, but I think they all have a bypass now. They don't require much gear at all since they add so much torque (full boost at 2000). The only drawback is traction! :) But with sticky tires you can launch them really low and never bog. I got 1.55 60ft with the 91 GT and a 2500 launch!

What do you have for mods now??? My friends 94 GT with full exhaust, 3.73's, good control arms, sticky tires, 76mm C&L ,and shifter ran a 13.5@103 a few years ago.

I don't think the KB is the best bang for the buck, I'd do other mods 1st.

I would buy a NOVI 2000 for the price the KB is...or an S-Trim.

If you want a used SC you can find some nice deals on ebay for older SN Paxtons, Powerdynes, etc. I gained 11mph and dropped 1 second with my Powerdyne I had on my 93 GT. It's not the most bullet proof SC but if you keep the SC where it should be RPM wise it will last awhile. Mine went from my friends car running 10.81 to my 93 GT.
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I am looking more towards the KB because I don't have to buy a new upper intake. (I am running stock right now)
    Plus, I like the idea of having alot of power below the curve, not having to wind the old 5-oh all the way out to make power. Also, it seems like the KB is a fairly easy to install and self-contained unit. (?)

I occasionally take the car to the track, mainly just to see what it will do when I get new mods.

Right now the car is mostly stock. Here is the list:

Cold air intake
    Accel coil
    Base timing @ 13 degrees
    O/R H-pipe
    Borla Mufflers
    Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
    Aluminum Driveshaft
    3.55 gears

I did have a 4.10 gear in the car this summer. With that gear, timing at 10 degrees, and 85 degree humid weather, my best time was a 15 second flat. Plus, the tires I have on the car are TERRIBLE (275/40 Sumitomo). I couldn't put it all the way down until mid way through 2nd.

Last week, I ran it again, this time with 3.55 gear and base timing at 13 degrees. The weather was upper 30's and dry. With the same awful tires, my best time was a 15.1.

13.5?? WOW! Was that with stock intake/injector/heads/cam/block???

I had the gears changed in anticipation that I would be putting a KB (or some other blower) on the car.

One last thing, what do you guys think of a Proharger D1? I have seen a few of these, and they are appealing because they come with an intercooler.

Again, thanks for the advice!:glasses:

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy_94
    Thanks for the help guys. I am looking more towards the KB because I don't have to buy a new upper intake. (I am running stock right now)
    Plus, I like the idea of having alot of power below the curve, not having to wind the old 5-oh all the way out to make power. Also, it seems like the KB is a fairly easy to install and self-contained unit. (?)

I occasionally take the car to the track, mainly just to see what it will do when I get new mods.

Right now the car is mostly stock. Here is the list:

Cold air intake
    Accel coil
    Base timing @ 13 degrees
    O/R H-pipe
    Borla Mufflers
    Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
    Aluminum Driveshaft
    3.55 gears

I did have a 4.10 gear in the car this summer. With that gear, timing at 10 degrees, and 85 degree humid weather, my best time was a 15 second flat. Plus, the tires I have on the car are TERRIBLE (275/40 Sumitomo). I couldn't put it all the way down until mid way through 2nd.

Last week, I ran it again, this time with 3.55 gear and base timing at 13 degrees. The weather was upper 30's and dry. With the same awful tires, my best time was a 15.1.

13.5?? WOW! Was that with stock intake/injector/heads/cam/block???

I had the gears changed in anticipation that I would be putting a KB (or some other blower) on the car.

One last thing, what do you guys think of a Proharger D1? I have seen a few of these, and they are appealing because they come with an intercooler.

Again, thanks for the advice!:glasses:

Whats your 60ft and trap speed? Also..whats the elevation you are at.

The KB is not hard to install really but I'd say I could do a Vortech/Paxton/Powerdyne in not alot more time really. My cousin has a ProCharger P1SC and it is a nice kit but ALOT of $$$. I'd get one of those over a KB probably. The inlet remps are really low. My cousin has the 3 core intercooler and the 12 rib pulleys.

You don't have to replace the stock intake with a centrifugal unless you really want to. I ran all stock motor and my Powerdyne and it went good.

Yea, he has all stock motor with 100,000+ miles.

BTW, get the car to use the power it has now before adding more! ;)

What are you shifting at now???
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

That is the problem with the KB. Your using the stock lower which has distribution problems to certain cylinders and if you want to make it better your out of luck. With another Supercharger you can change things and it can still be used. Who owns a 5.0 that needs more lower torque. Most can't get traction until 3k+ rpm anyways and if your having problems, which 15 in the 1/4 sounds like it you are I would see why first.

Junior SCH Member
    Sorry for the long reply time, I was away for the weekend.

Anyway... I am at about 850 ft. elevation.

On my last timeslip:
    .640 reaction
    2.191 60ft
    15.228 @ 93mph

Any advice, much appreciated! Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Also, I have been reading your advice, and I have been thinking that it would be better to do some other mods before I add a KB (?). I was wondering if this combo sounds like would work well with a KB blower:

94-95 cobra intake (GT40 lower)
    GT40 Heads
    Roller Rockers
    Mac equal length headers
    70mm TB
    70mm Mass air
    30lb/hr injectors

Looks good except go with 36lb or 42lb injectors.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a Shelby Cobra replica with a stock '87 5.0 lower end, John Kaase heads, Comp Cams Blower cam, gt40 lower intake ported, 42# fuel injectors, 90mm throttle body, 90mm mass air, and the Kenne Bell 2200 Blowzilla/Flowzilla blower with a 12# pulley. I am getting 506HP and 488TQ at the rear wheels.

Hope this helps.

Rob