Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cogged Eaton Super Charger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cogged Eaton Super Charger

Cogged Eaton Super Charger

Pro's and Con's Please list'em...
    Share the knowledge Empower Yourself and Others
    Black 03 HD # 08910
    Sponsor: Develop-Mental Racing
    dmracing@bellsouth.net www.dm-racing.net
    Schwarzes ist am schnellsten

Very good then

Close but not a AMW
    Last edited by Dbl G; 11-30-2006 at 02:35 AM.
    Black 03 HD # 08910

Mak'in some
    Black 03 HD # 08910

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The front bearing on the Eaton want handle the cog setup very long before chewing the snout up. Many in the GM camp has tried and usually the blower fails in very short amount of time.

Ah,
    There is life out there.
    SO how long has it taken for the bearings to wear?
    Does the GM set-up use a fixed Tensioner or a Spring Tensioner?
    I would imagine they use Steel roller bearings and has anyone tired Ceramic?

http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutkits.htm
    Black 03 HD # 08910

Ceramic bearings are weaker than steel in side loads they just run cooler and have less resistance. I have used ceramic bearings in testing my lubricants and they destroy themselves under side loads because the bearing cup is steel. The truth is most Eaton units are at the limits because of the size of the unit before they start slipping. I see no benefit to a Cog.

Well as of mid week we will be testing these and so will an independent firm.
    Black 03 HD # 08910

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Ceramic bearings are weaker than steel in side loads they just run cooler and have less resistance. I have used ceramic bearings in testing my lubricants and they destroy themselves under side loads because the bearing cup is steel. The truth is most Eaton units are at the limits because of the size of the unit before they start slipping. I see no benefit to a Cog.
    I can't see it being a need to go with a cog setup on a stock eaton either. The only reason to even do it would be if you can't get enough belt wrap on the supercharger but then you probably using WAY too small a pulley in the 1st place and just pushing it too far.
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

Waste of...Time, Money and Effort. It becomes a heat box after 9psi and if you use a intercooler it does not push enough CFM to keep up. Trying to reinvent this blower which was done 15+ years ago.

SCH Member
    Waste of...Time, Money and Effort. It becomes a heat box after 9psi and if you use a intercooler it does not push enough CFM to keep up. Trying to reinvent this blower which was done 15+ years ago.

Didn't the old BBK Instacharger use a M90? I actually liked that kit because it was different...but can't see how you could make a ton of power with one. Thats a small blower for a V8.
    1993 Mustang LX

Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

Yes that is the one. It would run out of power by 4800 rpm and the best HP to Torque curve for a 5.0 is at 5400rpm so the blower was like having a sponge in the discharge pipe. It just choked the motor. The worst $3400 my Dad ever spent.

SCH Member
    Yes that is the one. It would run out of power by 4800 rpm and the best HP to Torque curve for a 5.0 is at 5400rpm so the blower was like having a sponge in the discharge pipe. It just choked the motor. The worst $3400 my Dad ever spent.
    Wow..it was that bad?? I guess thats why they stopped making it! I know the ones for the Ranger 4.0 work well from what I read but it fits that application alot better where you are not going past probably 4500 anyway.
    1993 Mustang LX

3.8-4.0 is what the Supercharger was designed for so when you try making it feed a 5.0 with 8 cylinders to feed it really made the unit useless. My Dad put that unit on in '91 when he purchased his Convertible and only gained .40 in the 1/4 since it was done feeding the engine and just became a heater box when he took the car to 6k rpm. He had the unit for about 2 years then sold it and the car was faster N/A with his 4.10s. He now has had a A-trim on the car for 6 years and has been a great unit.

Talking

Strange,,,15lb's. of boost and nare a forest fire set yet.
    You kids should come out of the closet and venture over to where they are ran on a daily bassis an get a proper school'in....To each there own, yes it does boil down to a nice noise maker and zero slip.
    Venture to NHTOC or NLOC where there are and have been Eaton's beat to a most certain death....MP's being ran at 18 and 20 Lb's.
    Yes and still operating just fine.:cry:

Kid's.....
    Black 03 HD # 08910

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbl G
    Strange,,,15lb's. of boost and nare a forest fire set yet.
    You kids should come out of the closet and venture over to where they are ran on a daily bassis an get a proper school'in....To each there own, yes it does boil down to a nice noise maker and zero slip.
    Venture to NHTOC or NLOC where there are and have been Eaton's beat to a most certain death....MP's being ran at 18 and 20 Lb's.
    Yes and still operating just fine.:cry:

Kid's.....
    I am talking about the M90, not the newer Eaton units. I'm not a kid and I know speedytang is not....:laugh:
    1993 Mustang LX