Thread: Spout out vs BTM ??????????

Junior SCH Member

Spout out vs BTM ??????????

So a friend and I were thinking........... Is it better to lock timing at 20-22 degrees with spout out. Or keep BTM Initial around 15 for a total of 31 then 1 on the BTM with 10 psi = 21 total. Reason for this question is BTM is prone to failure so if vacuum line gets pinched or btm fails then Hello 31 degrees of total timing. Thoughts PLEASE................................. Blower cars with Alum. heads.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I don't like the Spout Out method just because the car is a dog when not in boost when driving the car normal.

Junior SCH Member
    Ya very good point I guess I'll just keep my BTM

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    I don't like the Spout Out method just because the car is a dog when not in boost when driving the car normal.
    I'll disagree with that statement, you are right the car will be a dog down low if you just set the timing @ 22 degrees and forget it. This is what i would do use the btm & then pull the spout out set timing @ 30 deg then calibrate the btm to pull your timing back to 22 deg. This is how you calibrate the btm say you have 12lbs of boost @ 6000 rpm now that you know that you would take a portable airtank fill the tank until it reads about 14 psi, start your car like i said pull the spout set timing @ 30 deg apply air pressure from the tank to the btm, now have a friend sit in your car and have them turn the boost retard knob slowly while you are looking at the timing marks on the harmonic balancer, when you see 22deg on the balancer have your friend stop turning the knob, now take a marker and mark where the knob is. so now you will have a total of 22 deg timing @ 6000 rpm and @ 12lbs of boost make sense?
    this way your car won't be a dog while you are not in boost & you have some
    what of a timing curve. trust me it works i was running 10.70's @ 131 for almost a whole race season with a 306 & a s-trim with a 5sp.