Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which SC is this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which SC is this?

Senior SCH Member
    ...the Novi 1000 is an awesome blower and would be my preferred choice among what's out there today. My friend has one on his heads/cam/intake 5.0 and I swear, that thing's miles over 400 rear wheel, using the stock, low pressure pulley setup.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    Is there anywhere else on the case you can find the serial number if the tag is missing?

KO

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    It is not a tag on the SN89 and up models it was etched/stamped on the lip top by the fill tube. Not sure about the older models because you knew what they are by the shape and size.

SCH Member
    I don't check this site as much as I want, but my response better late than never. :D

That is indeed a SN-60. They left the solenoid hole cast in them for some reason, a hold over from the VS-57s. No solenoid was EVER put in the SN-60s.

I started out with a SN-60 on my Oldsmobile before I lost an input shaft in it. My SC pulley is off an Avanti so I used the same blowers Avanti's used when I custom fabbed my setup.

My SN-60 I used I bought rebuilt from Myers Studebaker. If I remember correctly, it was stamped VS-57 on the serial number, but it was a SN-60. I thought it was weird. If it has the Short Nose it is a SN, no matter what. I have seen other studebakers with SN-60s that had the SN-60 stamped (my father has a R-2 hawk with one).

When I lost an input shaft I lucked on a BIN SN-60 off eBay for 200 bucks. It was one of the post 79 mustang kits from what I could tell (had the ford bracket and single V-belt pulley). I took the input shaft from it, fixed my SN-60, and then sold both of them when I found a used SN-93 on eBay. I converted the 93 to a VR-4.

The rear case and impeller on the SN-60 is slightly different than the SN-89 up to SN-2000. The SN-60 is supposedly a magnesium impeller, and it is VERY light as compared to the SN-93 impellers. The studebaker guys offer a CNC cut impeller for them that increases boost. It is a reshaped impeller just like Craig sells. I had both my SN-60 and new SN-93 together at the same time, and I tried to put my CNC cut magnesium SN-60 impeller into the SN-93 case. The impeller was slightly smaller and didn't fit the scroll. Likewise, the SN-93 impeller was too big to fit the scroll of the SN-60. So I sold my SN-60 with the special impeller in it and ordered the high output impeller from Craig and ran it until I bought the VR-4 setup.

Here are some pictures.
    This is MY SN-60 I first used. Was stamped VS-57. You can see where the stamping should be.

Here is the eBay SN-60 I used for parts. You can see the serial number on it too.

A shot of the eBay's SN-60 magnesium impeller, not my CNCd one.

The only picture I have of the CNCd impeller. Terrible, I took it with my webcam back in college when I didn't have a digital camera.

Studebaker's sticker used to cover the hole in the SN-60s

SN-60s are really different on the inside than the later blowers. They use a spring pack that pushes the upper race against the ball drive for tension, not shims and fixed races like the later units. The output shafts don't have rubber seals like the later units, they have 2 or 3 C rings (just like pisiton rings) that seal against the housing. Mine never leaked.

If you are going to find a serial number, it will be where those two pictured above are. I have some pictures on my computer of a couple more SN-60s and I can't see their serial numbers, so it is possible some fronts didn't get stamped. Yours is either not stamped, or bondoed and primered over.

You may be able to still get a CNC machined impeller for the SN-60s from Ted Harbit or John Myer if you want.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    thanks for the info
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    Yes that is some killer info.
    Needed it to find out about the Frankencharger Pkg thats on my car. :D

KO