Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FMU

Senior SCH Member
    Better in what way? More mileage, more power? You need what injector you need. I think 42s are "better" because you're intending running forced induction on a full HCI package. The explosion from too little injector is going to be ugly.

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I use 42lb injectors and with the PMS and a Wideband for tuning I would get 20 mixed and 24 highway on trips. I would get 16mpg drag racing all day at Fun Ford and drive the car back and forth to the track. I never seen a drop in mileage from 3.08 to 3.73 either but then I no longer had to leave 5th to show a brisk acceleration on the freeway.

SCH Member
    what is wideband? I keep hearing of the wideband o2 sensors, is that what it is?

Senior SCH Member
    A standard narrow band O2 sensor like the one in your regular car can only read in a very narrow range around stoich (~14:1) air/fuel. Since, ideally you want to tune for 12.5:1 or so for performance and safety, you need an O2 sensor that can accurately detect O2 in that range...hence, wide band.

You know, people always say that the only silly question is one that's unasked but, really, if you've been fiddling around with hot rodding EFI cars without the basic knowledge set, like what a wideband is, what FMU disc to use, etc., it's frankly amazing that you haven't blown the thing up yet. That's sure what happened when I started doing this decades ago and forged ahead with nothing but faith and ignorance to guide me. My wake is littered with broken parts and hard lessons.

F=MA

SCH Member
    actually I'm asking before I put the stuff on so I don't blow it up thank you

SCH Member
    everyone learned from someone or something right? I just prefer to ask people who are knowledgeable ahead of time as to find out the hard way. I appreciate your help very much and prefer asking you all because I always get 3 or 4 different answers or just get confused when I just do a search on google. again thank you all for the help

SCH Member
    what wideband do ya'll recommend? Bosch?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgames81
    everyone learned from someone or something right? I just prefer to ask people who are knowledgeable ahead of time as to find out the hard way. I appreciate your help very much and prefer asking you all because I always get 3 or 4 different answers or just get confused when I just do a search on google. again thank you all for the help
    If I recall correctly, you've already done a fair bit of hot rodding on your car already, which is what I'm getting at; it's not like you're starting with a bone stock 87-93 Fox.

If I could do it all over again, I'd learn to touch *nothing* before I learned how to touch it. Sadly, even if I'd wanted to do it that way back then, we didn't have the miracle of the internet to instantly place information in front of us. So, we just had to muddle through and, "pay up, sucka" when we blew things up. Good memories, though...:happy:

I'd recommend you buy Bosch, or Nippon Denso wide bands, as they are both in OEM use and have to meet that standard. A bit more money initially but, any instrument is only as accurate as the materials and design used so, no off-brand or second string crap cuts it here.

F=MA

SCH Member
    no I actualy paid for people to do the work for me up until recently when I got more into it and wanted to do it myself and learn more. I think I will go w/ the 42's and the boschs then. Thank you all for the help. I'm sure I'll be back soon asking more questions.

Senior SCH Member
    People do that!? :D

Good for you for taking on the challenge. You'll be alot more proud of the finished product, plus more sure of what it'll really do, this way.

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    This is the Wideband that I have used for the past 3 years. You can use a Laptop, PDA or a Dash Gauge. Excellent Unit
    http://www.zeitronix.com/

SCH Member
    So those widebands and the pms oughtta do it huh? Now when I put the stuff on should I take it and dyno tune it or try to have them put the stuff on and then tune it

Senior SCH Member
    Depends on your dyno operator. If they are intimately familiar with the PMS then they could guide you. If they aren't, find one that is. You can probably dial in the drive it down there settings pretty easily just by following the instructions. If it's anything like previous versions of the Interceptor II on which it's based, it's pretty user friendly.

F=MA

SCH Member
    Sounds good thanks

SCH Member
    Will it be ok to run the pms and sn2000 w/ 24# inj till I can afford to get the widebands and 42# inj? If I can should I just leave the fmu off?