Thread: Dual Novi 2000 Blowers

Junior SCH Member

Dual Novi 2000 Blowers

I'm looking into using two Novi 2000 blowers in parallel or series, then into my water to air intercooler, then into my intake system. Question, should I consider the system in parallel or series. At present I have one Novi 2000 blower being used on my Studebaker 289CI engine at max 28 lbs boost giving me on a chassis dyno 554 HP at rear wheels. This gave me the record (D/CPS) at Bonneville at 198.143 mph average of two runs, but now I want to change to a different racing class for two blowers (D/CBGC) which has a record of 209.236mph which I can easily beat with two blowers. With dual blowers I should move my engine HP from 700 to 850HP to enable the car to do around 215+ mph. So its going to be fun to try this approach, my gut tells me to try the blowers in series first to double my blower boost, where in parallel it would have about the same boost as one blower, but just more flow. And being that the Novi puts out 28 lbs boost at around 1400 CFM, my cfm is ok but because Studebaker heads don't flow as good as other brand engines, it requires high boost for max hp. I will be using one large intercooler that can handle 1000 hp thus cooling the air down to around 110 degrees before going into my engine. So any ideas??
    Thanks, Dave (Avanti Kid racing)

Junior SCH Member
    There was a '57 Fairlane at WFC9 that had dual NOVI 2000 blowers on a 460/C6. If memory serves it was running 10s. It was a parallel setup into a carb hat.

Perfectly streetable too!

I've got some pics, but do not know the details on the setup.

Junior SCH Member

Dual Novi 2000 blowers

Tominator, Thanks for the info on the 57' Fairlane with the 460 ci engine. It gives me some reference of what others have done with a dual setup. I'll have to experiment to see which will give me more HP. Probably around June of this year I will try the dual in series and go on a chassis dyno to tune and get results. I'm sponsored by Paxton in my Land Speed racing and asked them the same question, but they haven't don't any dual setups.
    Thanks, Dave

Used to live in Valencia small world, anyway I would think parallel would be more efficient if i'm picturing this right. It would seem like you would be creating double the heat by forcing the air from the first blower into the other.

Junior SCH Member

Dual Novi 2000

Hustler, I see your point that on the surface it makes more sense to go in parallel than in series, but I have friend who has a 289 CI Studebaker engine with two turbos and he operates at 30 to 35 lbs boost to make the Studebaker heads flow better and he develops 1000 to 1100 hp with his engine and is capable of 230 mph at Bonneville. So my engine with one Novi 2000 makes 27lbs boost at 1700 cfm, and give me around 700 hp with my 289 CI Studebaker engine, but at the intake manifold I see 18 lbs boost at 7200 engine RPM,so my guess is I have enought flow (CFM) but not enough blower boost, so my going in series with one blower at 80% and the second at 100% impeller speed (55,000rpm) then go into my water/air intercooler (sized for 1000 hp) cool down air charge from 400 degrees F to around 110 degrees F then go into my intake manifold with no detnation problems, and will use 118 octane leaded racing fuel to reduce any detnation. So this is only a guess, but may have to try both ways to get it right (parallel VS series) for around 850 HP, will test and tune on a chassis dyno at WOT and will turn the dyno roller at about 180 mph. Thanks for your inputs, any ideas are appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted on this unusal concept.

Take care, Dave