Thread: Using a Novi 2000 with a 347 stroker;

Junior SCH Member

Using a Novi 2000 with a 347 stroker;

Hi:

Can anyone give me some advice on whether I can use the stock 8lb pulley with the Novi 2000 with a 347 stroker motor with 10:1 compression? I have blown several head gaskets already( felpros[sp?]). I am now installing Cometic head gaskets(.100 thick), and I am wondering if I can still enjoy using the blower, without any more ill effects( ie.. the aforementioned problem). Several people have told me that I am running too much compression, but the shop that did the installation for me says that the stock 302 c.i. motor has 9:1 compression, and can run a Vortech A trim with 9lbs. of boost without any problems. Could somebody please advise? I simply cannot afford this anymore!!! I don't even race the car, so it hasn't seen 8lbs of boost yet!
    I would really like to put the hammer down in this car without fear and enjoy what I have put my hard earned money into! I have done all the necessary modifications to this car, motor wise, before adding the blower.
    Please help!

Thank You,

Thiek.

Several things cause blown headgaskets...2 things that can probally help you 1. run race gas....not octain booster I would run 104 at least

2. lower timing

Mike
    NEW BEST 9.66 @141.02 best mph 141.73 mph!
    AEM tuned by ME!

http://www.mikeymustang.com

Junior SCH Member

Thanks for your response!

Hi Mike:

Wow! Those are incredible numbers! If you lived here in Richmond B.C., Canada, I would pay you to tune my car! I have just started using octane booster (1 1/2 bottles per fill up) in the last couple of days. Obviously, I have just got my ride back. I don't know where I can get race gas here, but I will definitely find out. I also wish to install a boost retard unit (crane), as I have a crane hiball 6 installed in my car. My timing is currently at, I believe, 36 degrees total. The shop tried putting it at stock and the check engine light kept coming on every 8 seconds or so, and the car ran like sh**. It would bog whenever the check engine light came on, so I don't know how much I can back off the timing, and still have the car driveable. Maybe I should send you my car's spec's and you could possibly determine what the car is capable of at the strip. I haven't taken her out there yet, as I can't afford to break an axle. Again, thanks for your reply.

Thiek.
    Last edited by Thiek; 03-23-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiek
    Hi Mike:

Wow! Those are incredible numbers! If you lived here in Richmond B.C., Canada, I would pay you to tune my car! I have just started using octane booster (1 1/2 bottles per fill up) in the last couple of days. Obviously, I have just got my ride back. I don't know where I can get race gas here, but I will definitely find out. I also wish to install a boost retard unit (crane), as I have a crane hiball 6 installed in my car. My timing is currently at, I believe, 36 degrees total. The shop tried putting it at stock and the check engine light kept coming on every 8 seconds or so, and the car ran like sh**. It would bog whenever the check engine light came on, so I don't know how much I can back off the timing, and still have the car driveable. Maybe I should send you my car's spec's and you could possibly determine what the car is capable of at the strip. I haven't taken her out there yet, as I can't afford to break an axle. Again, thanks for your reply.

Thiek.
    Who tuned this car?...36 deg of TOTAL timing is WAY too much! and adding the bottle type octaine boost isn't going to be enough by a long shot...I would stay out of the boost till you figure this all out or your going to blow another head gasket or worst take a piston out....maybe you are mistaken about the total timing?...what kind of tuner you running?

Mike
    AEM tuned by ME!

Junior SCH Member
    Hi Mike:

Again, thanks for the reply. I just phoned the mechanic who did the head gasket work, and he told me that the timing is set at 5 degrees advanced( the stock timing is at 10 degrees, if I am not mistaken?) Incidentally, this is not the same mechanic that told me the that the timing was set to 36 degrees total. I hope that this retarded timing setting will be ok(??) Please advise.
    Thanks again,

Thiek

Quote Originally Posted by Thiek
    Hi Mike:

Again, thanks for the reply. I just phoned the mechanic who did the head gasket work, and he told me that the timing is set at 5 degrees advanced( the stock timing is at 10 degrees, if I am not mistaken?) Incidentally, this is not the same mechanic that told me the that the timing was set to 36 degrees total. I hope that this retarded timing setting will be ok(??) Please advise.
    Thanks again,

Thiek
    I would go talk to the tuner... what you see on the dizzy (10 deg) is base timing, what you need to know is total timing (what the computer adds or subtracts depending on what the chip tells it). I am not trying to scare you but blowing headgaskets is no fun..the main thing is DO NOT DETDETONATE and you will be ok...

Mike
    AEM tuned by ME!