Thread: Max Impeller speed V1 S-trim?

Junior SCH Member

Max Impeller speed V1 S-trim?

Looking to push my V1 as far as it will "safely" go. I know Vortech's site says 50,000 rpm max impeller speed but even they say you can overspin it without hurting it. How high is the question? Using a serpentine belt so some slipping is implied, and talking strictly at the dragstrip. My planned pulley combo would put me at 61,000 assuming no slippage. I might be able to pulley up and get it down to 58,000 rpm. Is this too high? Not so worried about the intake temps or anything (I realize they will be up there), just from a purely mechanical viewpoint.

Anyone know what makes the V1 e-trim good up to 65,000 rpm? Anything other than a more efficient wheel?

I know guys have pushed the S-trim into the 9's and I am sure they were spinning the heck out of the blowers to do it.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinins/experience.

Junior SCH Member

Max Speed

I to would be interested in knowing the max safe speed. I am spinning my S trim around 56,000 now.

Junior SCH Member
    How long have you been spinning it that high? I did some more digging around and from what I can tell the NMRA Real Street guys have spun it 60K+. Not sure how long it lasts at those kind of rpms or what but I might have to find out.

Junior SCH Member

Max Boost

For at least a year, I have the egine out of the car right now. I am changing the color of the car and installing a cage. I checked the blower out while the engine was on the stand and I see no wear or damage to it. There is a post on this forum that specs out all the details and part numbers to rebuild an S-trim yourself, instead of sending it back to Vortech. Save yourself alot of money. It does not look to be very difficult if you are the do it yourself kind of person.
    One thing I will mention is that the temp of the air charge does not change alot spinning it to 56,000 v/s 48,000 to 50,000. I am running a water to air aftercooler, which may account for the temp issue. Just my 2 cents.

Junior SCH Member
    Thats good to know. I am using a large air to air and see pretty low intake temps right now. Hopefully they will stay low enough. How much extra boost did you see by spinning it that much harder?

Junior SCH Member
    I added the air to water intercooler at the same time that I increased the speed of the blower. I was seeing 14 to 15 before and now I am seeing about the same. Which I was happy to see, I was afraid that I would lose some though the intercooler core.

Junior SCH Member
    Tough to estimate boost losses through the intercooler as it depends on the piping the core itself as well as the efficiency of the core. Good to hear your experience with spinning the V1 this fast has been a good one.