Thread: sn2000 cog set up

SCH Member

Question sn2000 cog set up

The original belt that came with the sn2000 kit is maxed to its tightest position. I am thinking of trying to convert to a cog setup. The crank pulley has 57 teeth and the charger pulley has 32 teeth. It looks like my trans is shifting at 5000-5100rpm during the 1-2 shift and 4900rpm during 2-3. With this setup it looks like the charger with be spinning 39.5K @5000rpm. If the rpm are brought to 5250 it looks like I would have to get a 34 crank pulley. Would the 57/32 combo be too much on a street car? The supercharger does not have a cooler. Should I be concerned if the trans slips and the supercharger overrevs? The vehicle is a t.bird with a 86 mustang ho, tci shift kit and 3:73 gears.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Get a cooler and 8 rib and forget the cog setup.

SCH Member
    Do you know where I could get a cooler system or a dipstick to fabricate my own for a decent price?
    I'm assuming the cog pulleys will ruin the supercharger. Unfortunately

SCH Member
    Do you know where I could get a cooler system or a dipstick to fabricate my own for a decent price?
    I'm assuming the cog pulleys will ruin the supercharger. Unfortunately, I already have the pulleys, and if they won't work properly I guess I wont be able to use them.
    Last edited by 88t.birdsc; 05-27-2007 at 11:19 PM.

The only real way to make your own cooler is to drill and tap the blower case. The bearings will handle the cog it is that every time you let off the throttle from boost you have no give. The truth is the cog is easier on the blower and crank because the belt is not putting so much side load on the bearings.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    The only real way to make your own cooler is to drill and tap the blower case. The bearings will handle the cog it is that every time you let off the throttle from boost you have no give.
    I'm assuming so please correct me if I am wrong. I should drill and tap 2 fittings into the case, one on top and one on the bottom in line with the dipstick
    Letting off of the throttle from boost and having no give, again I'm assuming this would either cause a reversion condition(ie blow off valve needed?) or slowing the blower down to quickly(ie galling of the balls and race)

Thanks ;)

Big blow off valve and yes the balls and the impeller shaft. Many have used the VR4 with the cog drive for racing only but the temperature really climbs.