Thread: 1994 gt help please

Junior SCH Member

1994 gt help please

1994 gt 5.0l 5sp vortech sc at 8lbs. car runs great without sc,then when i put it on i keep blowing headgaskets. the first two set went when it got hot, the third went today sitting on the dyno just spinnin the wheels up a little, havent even done any pulls. what would be the cause of this??? AFM tells me that it is due to the stock e7 heads having to small deck thickness to handle a sc, but i cant see that being the case. there is countless other sn95s out there running with stock heads and a s/c.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Whats your timing set at, #1 Cause of blown head gaskets and #2 Warped head surface. If you had blown the first set from the engine getting hot it sounds like you have a warped head surface.

Junior SCH Member
    timing set at 10*, heads were milled .003" to make flat and level. block was flat

Did you use new Head Bolts?

Junior SCH Member
    yes i used arp studs torqued in the correct sequence in three steps, then retorqued again.

I am going to guess since you have nothing listed that your running out of fuel. Have you installed a larger pump at least a 190lph. 42lb injectors and trash the FMU if your using one.

Junior SCH Member
    255lph in tank, 42lb injectors, fmu gone, trex inline, bbk afpr at 40psi. the fuel is there.

If your timing is set at or below 21degrees at WOT then I would say you still have a warped head or your installing your upper intake at the wrong torque and lifting the head during its install.

Junior SCH Member
    is that actually possible that torqueing the intake at if i remember correctly 18-20ftlbs that its actually going to pull up on cast iron heads that are studded down. i dont really see that happening. not at 20ftlbs. but any thing is possible.

I have tried to get the intake bolts out before on peoples 5.0 and they had torqued the bolts 45-55ftlbs. Not a problem if you used the correct torque. I still say warped heads or incorrect head torque sequence.

Junior SCH Member
    i think im gonna get myself some twisted wedges and hope to god they fix this problem. cause we have done this thing right the whole way through. thanks