Thread: Maxflow Bypass Q's....

Junior SCH Member

Maxflow Bypass Q's....

Couple of quick Q's on my Maxflow bypass.

First, I have my s-trim pulleys at 2.75"/8" and am only seeing 7psi of max boost (6000rpm). I'm really thinking I should see at least 12psi out of that pulley combo. This is on a '89 LX.

I think my problem is my Maxflow bypass valve.

1. It has the adjuster nut still set at the factory default, which I believe is all the way out for 3" Hg. Should I adjust this in?

2. I have the vacuum port plumbed into the vacuum block on the firewall. Is that ok?

3. I have the breather port on the bypass completely open right now. Will this cause a boost leak? Can I just plug it or should I run it to the breather which I have capped off right now?

Any help is appreciated.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I don't see your combo listed but I don't think it is your bypass which you can just unhook and plug and verify that. Just remember how boost/psi is viewed, it is back pressure that your reading so if you have free flowing heads or intake and a cam with additional overlap your boost numbers will be lower than a person who is using for example stock parts. Your 8psi can equal 12psi.

Junior SCH Member
    Speedy....thanks for the reply.

Can you help me on my 1st & 3rd questions though? I want to make sure I have the bypass setup correctly.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The nut is set on how fast or amount of vacuum you want it to open. Boost keeps it closed and should not leak unless the o-ring is bad. If you venting and not putting it back to the intake pipe you will cause a rich condition between shifts or when the valve opens since it is unmetered air but should not cause a boost leak. I would adjust the valve so it stays closed till you decelerate at maybe 15" so it is not open all the time while driving.

Senior SCH Member
    I dont see the bypass being your problem, dont touch that adjustment.....its fine where it is from the factory. I personally make sure my bypass its own dedicated vacuum source (not T'd into) and no that breather will not cause a leak.....its exactly that a breather. as said what is your combo???? but Id say with a 2.75" compressor pulley your prolly experiencing belt slip, is the belt tight enough? I dont know the calculations off the top of my head but with a 2.75"/8" pulley combo your possibly overspinning the blower but thats another
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Junior SCH Member
    At 6000 RPM that blower is spinning 60K RPM. I would say your boost numbers are low unless your running a big block or something very large. Belt slip is the most likely culprit. Although I did have a Mondo partially stick open on me once. I cycled the set screw all the way through its range and that fixed the problem.
    1989 Mustang GT...GT40 Irons, Edelbrock, Performer, TFS Stage 1, BBK LT, O/R X, Dynomax Ultra Flows, A1000 inspired fuel system, T-Trim 3.00"/6.87" 12#s...502 rwhp 466 rwtq

2002 Camaro Z/28..MTI lid, SLP 2OTL Catback...330 rwhp 345 rwtq