Thread: Mounting FAST Wideband A/F Unit

Mounting FAST Wideband A/F Unit

I have a new Fast dual sensor A/F meter, and it lacks any mounting place for the control unit where the readout is. Has anyone mounted one of these? Pictures?
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

Junior SCH Member
    GOOD QUESTION!!
    I just installed one in my 91 notch, there really isnt a good way to mount it due to the boys at fast having the wires exit towards the driver. I was thinking of making a custom bracket by my vents above the radio w/ the wires running into the dash.

How did you wire it? I ditched the cig lighter power supply and wired it to my 12v switched on my radio. The only problem is it losses power wneh cranking!! Do you know of a 12v switched power supply in the car that stays hot while cranking?

Also, it kinda sucks how you have to go through the sequence of button to get the thing to read everytime you fire up the car. I used the wide band to sent signal to my eec-iv, and removed my factory o2's.

I just finished mounting mine. Not to pleased with the guys at FAST Tech Support. When I asked about them at least including a couple of rubber gromments to secure the cables that you have to make large holes to pass them through the firewall. There reply was that everyone would not use them, so they would be wasting money. I never did find what I considered a good gromment, and had to make do with some thing less than a perfect fit, and a bunch of caulking :(

Here is how I did mine.
    http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/fast.htm

Bruce
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi

Junior SCH Member
    YUP, F.A.S.T. tech sucks for sure!!

They never gave directions on how to wire it up to work w/ my eec-iv computer. When i called, one guy told me to use only the gray wire & that the blk wire was on for a dyno since it doesnt have a ground. Another guy said to use both the grey & blk wires to make it work. He also tried saying it would draw 30 amps!! He is so full of crapola it stinks!! I told him that they better recall all the units and use bigger guage wire. They supply 18 or 20 guage wire, there is no way that wire could safely handle that much draw. Its probly only draws 15 amp max, but when you have a tech thats a putz your kinda of at their mercy.

What switched power supply did you wire it to? Does it loose power when you crank the engine?? I like your bracket, thats a good idea.

I tore out all the EFI stuff, and computer. I still had a good size switched 12v that was going to the ignition system. It was about a 12 ga wire. I used it to feed all new added stuff. Any high draw items like the fuel pump, fan, I used relays.

I have a photo shoot at NMRA next month, and will pull the FAST out for it. Dont want anyone to think I am a happy customer.

The meter itself is very nice, but no mounting points on the case, odd shape, has to be re configured each time it is started, no gromments for the huge holes you have to make, Shitty Customer Service, no I will not be sending anyone there way....
    Last edited by 393bird; 09-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi