Thread: Bad headgasket??

SCH Member

Question Bad headgasket??

Hey guys. yesterday I went to the track to beat on my car with a best time of 10.84 @ 121mph . And on the way home my temp ran one notch higher on the stock gauge then it did on the way to the track.Still under 1/2 but still higher. I get home and my overflow has more coolant in it then when I left. So I pop the rad cap off and there is an oil film on the coolant and oil residue in the overflow. I checked the oil and its clean and the car runs great. Did I pop a headgasket??
    306 stock block, tfs aluminum heads and stage 1 cam, cobra intake home ported lower, 65mm t body, 42lb inj, pro m 80 mass air, V2 SQ 16 lbs 3.33 upper 8" lower, upr boost pipe, 373 gears,= 530 rwhp + 520 TQ 10.84@ 121mph while shifting 5th at the big end :teeth:

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Probably head gasket but a intake gasket will give the same symptoms.

SCH Member
    Thanks speedy. Whats the best way to check? just drive it and see what the temp does? and check the rad for air bubbles. anything else??
    306 stock block, tfs aluminum heads and stage 1 cam, cobra intake home ported lower, 65mm t body, 42lb inj, pro m 80 mass air, V2 SQ 16 lbs 3.33 upper 8" lower, upr boost pipe, 373 gears,= 530 rwhp + 520 TQ 10.84@ 121mph while shifting 5th at the big end :teeth:

I have had headgaskets go just enough to have disappearing water but the temperature never climb till it gets to low on water. With it getting cooler outside it might never go up during normal driving. I would rent a radiator pressure pump and see if the pressure drops. If it drops you need to remove the intake anyway and you might find the problem before going to the heads.

SCH Member
    Well I drove the car today and the temp stays below 1/2 but I have lots of bubbling in the overflow tank. looking more like a head gasket now. What do you guys think?

Head Gasket