Thread: Blow Through Carb and Timing

Blow Through Carb and Timing

I am running a all forged 393 with a blow through carb, and no cooler. I ran it with the timing locked at 32 deg when NA. Wonder what I should try with a retard that will only do a set retard using a hobbs switch. I am running 9.5 compression, 93 octane, and 15 psi of boost for now. Will be adding meth injection in the Spring.

I was thinking about using 28 locked, and about 4 degree retard at about 8 psi. Any input?
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I would start with more timing removed. Do you have a Wideband or a EGT? 93 Octane and 15psi with 9.5 compression I usually see 19 total degrees of timing to be on the edge and that is on FI I am not sure if you can allow that much timing(24*).

I think I will start a little lower and see what happens. Maybe 22, and pull 4 with the hobbs at about 8. I think I see a full timing retard unit in my future. With that, I could cruise on the street at a decent timing and not worry about causing heat from too low of timing. I could then pull 1 degree for each degree of boost. That would give me 32 degrees at 0 boost, and 17 degrees at 15 psi.
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Seems Wise