Thread: bypass valve

Junior SCH Member

bypass valve

i picked up a bypass valve (blow off valve) from ebay..
    i am going to run it as a bypass..now my question is this..
    some sites say it is overkill to run an adjustable blow off/bypass..
    i have a pretty much stock motor and stock 2 belt novi1000. i just dont want the compessor surge anymore and i will be getting the 8" crank later on so is this the way to go..
    why do they say its not recomended to put one on...(its like the mondo bypass set up)
    i think it would work all the same except i am not running over 12 pounds of boost...am i wrong or should i go ahead and put it in???
    thanks

Senior SCH Member
    i run an 8 inch crank pulley on my two belt setup i had to put one on but it wasnt an adjustable one it really helped with idle surge .i am only pushing about 8 lbs of boost also..

Junior SCH Member
    only 8 pounds with a 8" crank pulley!!???? whats your engine combo

and NO im my OPINION, you cannot "overkill" a bypass valve, sure it's not needed but cheap insurance and your set for life. good luck

Junior SCH Member
    added bypass valve...did my own thing with a turbo blowoff and got some rad hose with a 90 in it...looks and works great...its loud as hell too!! sound is the best part!!!!!fixed all coasting problems and compressor surge too! polished my discharge tube while i was at it too!

Senior SCH Member
    i run a GT-40 intake with windsor SR heads ,comp xe274 cam,42 lb inj, all the normal stuff remember boost is a measure of back pressure at that 8 lbs i also run 122 mph in a 3200 lb car

Junior SCH Member

what rpm are you spinning

to get 8psi?

Senior SCH Member
    well when it was with the stock crank puley it was only 5 psi ,so with the 8 inch crank i only hit about 8 psi at 5800. i think the supercharger is spinning about 47k or so......

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrsrich302 View Post
    well when it was with the stock crank puley it was only 5 psi ,so with the 8 inch crank i only hit about 8 psi at 5800. i think the supercharger is spinning about 47k or so......
    Sounds about right. Some guys claim a lot more with the 8". I had my car on the dyno and was only reaching 8.5-9psi with the 8'' pulley.-

Junior SCH Member
    Where can I get an 8" pulley for my 2 belt kit?
    92 GT w/373,T-5, 70mm TB, 75mm MAF,MM LCA's/FRP UCA, BBK 1 5/8 headers, MAC H-pipe, FMS aluminum D/S, 3G, MSD6AL, BTM, Thumper ported GT40s, Cobra intake w/TMoss ported lower, Crane 2031, Crane 1.7 rockers, 42lb injectors, CF DF, Novi 1K, 8" lower, UPR PP, AIS
    432/407 RWHP/RWTQ @11lbs SCT tuned

Senior SCH Member
    summit or jegs has them i bought mine from horsepowerfreaks.com