Thread: Headgaskets.

Junior SCH Member

Headgaskets.

Hey guys, I have a 93 Mustang 5.0 and I keep blowing head gaskets. I am running 8-9psi with Aluminum GT-40 heads. I use 94octane pump gas. I blew the first gaskets with the stock heads and then again with the new Aluminum heads. Could this be due to not running enough octane? I plan on installing a Water/Meth injection kit this winter. The car put down 354rwhp before adding the GT-40 heads. I'd guess I am around 400rwhp now.

Junior SCH Member
    Just curious if you have had your combo tuned?
    Can you post your combo?
    92 GT w/373,T-5, 70mm TB, 75mm MAF,MM LCA's/FRP UCA, BBK 1 5/8 headers, MAC H-pipe, FMS aluminum D/S, 3G, MSD6AL, BTM, Thumper ported GT40s, Cobra intake w/TMoss ported lower, Crane 2031, Crane 1.7 rockers, 42lb injectors, CF DF, Novi 1K, 8" lower, UPR PP, AIS
    432/407 RWHP/RWTQ @11lbs SCT tuned

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Did you use new Head Bolts and if so did you follow the bolt sequence and step the torque to the bolts. What is the timing at WOT because you should limit yourself to 24 degrees unless you have a wideband to verify your tune if you have a tune. You need to post the information about your car/engine for anyone to really be able to help.

Junior SCH Member
    I used ARP bolts. I torqued everything to specs just the way the manual says to do it.

Stock Cam. Car is tuned with a chip.
    Lightning mass air. 42lb injectors.
    Trick Flow Track heat intake.
    Aluminum GT-40 heads
    No Emissions.
    70mm TB
    BBK Shorty Headers
    MSD distrib.
    Car is set at 12 deg timing.
    Not sure what it is at WOT.

Lets see you have a chip and not sure what the timing is at WOT.
    A chip can not remove timing under boost.
    I think we have a Winner..Probably to much timing.
    If the chip does limit timing to anything under 24 degrees, how is it stepping the timing since it is limiting you when your in or out of boost. Your need either a boost retard box to improve driveability or get a PMS Tuning Unit.
    Don't you have a sheet with the specs from the chip burn.

Junior SCH Member
    All I have from when I got the chip burnt is the dyno sheet. The water/meth is definitely a good thing to get correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably Not.
    You need to remove the chip and start tuning from that point. Meth unit is not going to solve anything till you figure out what your problem is. You need a good tune or tuning device or you will damage more than a head gasket.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    Probably Not.
    You need to remove the chip and start tuning from that point. Meth unit is not going to solve anything till you figure out what your problem is. You need a good tune or tuning device or you will damage more than a head gasket.

It should be a good tune, the guy that did it is well known for his work. Is it really necessary to pull timing at WOT?

Well with a blower and only 94 octane the answer is YES. You don't even have any data(log) to see what your limits are. What does the head gasket look like when you pulled it.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    Well with a blower and only 94 octane the answer is YES. You don't even have any data(log) to see what your limits are. What does the head gasket look like when you pulled it.

I have not pulled the gasket yet. Its put up for winter storage. I should have it pulled apart in a week or two. When I do I will take a picture of the gasket. This is my first blown car so I am still learning as I go. If I had to guess it blew the gasket due to detonation. I currently have a MSD 6AL on my car, is there something I can add to it to get the timing retard that I need? I remember seeing the data on the Air/Fuel ratio and everything was spot on throughout the rpms, I just don't have it on paper now.

What did the gasket look like the first time with the old heads?
    On the dyno sheet the A/F looks OK. You just need to get hold of the Chip tuner and have him email you the timing and fuel maps. You can get a boost box for the MSD. You can usually find them cheap on Corral or Stangnet.

Junior SCH Member
    The first time it was not leaking real bad. It just leaked on cylinder 2 and 3 only on the lower part of the gasket. You could see alittle discoloration on the pistons from the coolant. This time I did a compression test and 2 and 3 have ZERO psi.... And the car was burning coolant like crazy!