Thread: Need more boost

Junior SCH Member

Question Need more boost

Ok heres the deal 95 mustang 5.0 made only 5-6 psi boost with a sn2000 I want more boost has stock impeller gonna replace impeller but I hear other people making 10 psi. Supercharger is in good shape I bought it new from craig what do I need to do to make this thing run. Car is getting new 342 and trickflow head's and everything else inbetween want car to fly. please help

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    To skip ahead, if your going with a 342 you will probably only see 4-5psi no matter what pulley you use to spin the Supercharger. You can drop the pulley to a 4" but if you shift over 5400rpm you will be at the max rpm for the unit. The 'SN' unit was designed for 5-6psi and when you start spinning the unit to get more boost you will be taking a risk of hurting the internals.

Junior SCH Member
    So what you are telling me is I need to sell the supercharger and just buy a new one or a turbo kit? I don't know what else to do I hear people doing a vr4 upgrade but don't know where to find one been searching ebay and nothing any idea's would be appriciated.

Give craig connely a call at paradise wheel.He might have a vr4 upgrade.He told me that the vr4 is good for 1500cfm.Almost double what you have now

No new VR4 kits for over 2 years now and don't count on them being made again. The VR4 is the best option but since that is a shot in the dark your best bet is a Novi 2000 or Vortech 'S' or Turbo when you are trying to boost the 342.

Junior SCH Member
    Well I'll stick it on after I break the engine in and see what it does and go from there if it helps some I may replace the impeller and run it till she comes apart. Speedy do you know anyone with a used VR4 or any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Impeller is not worth the money your 342 needs at least 1150cfm at max torque rpm and your not going to get that with a modified impeller. The VR4 market is dry now and even at the swap meets I have not seen any.