Thread: Just installed blower, now I've got weird noises

Junior SCH Member

Just installed blower, now I've got weird noises

Got the car on the road finally... (except I've got to fix the clutch interlock switch and the hood doesn't shut all the way). First gear is useless. It's over in a second. The tires break loose at 3000 RPM in second. With cold tires I lose traction in third gear, too. Maybe I've got too much power...

Two weird noises from the car
    1) A "tink" sound that is similar to when the exhaust system cools. Maybe my new headers heating up? The tink sound is only when I'm driving at really weak part throttle, so I don't think it's detonation. Well it might be at other times, but I can't hear squat over the exhaust.
    2) A squealing sound... like a bearing... I'm assuming it's the blower idler bearing or one of my accessories. How tight is the blower idler pulley supposed to be cinched down onto the idler bracket?

This is a Novi 1000 dual belt system.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Search for Novi Dual Belt and if the threads did not get lost from a crash 3+ years ago you will find all the answers. The single was nothing but problems and after much debate on this site with Paxton they changed the design back to a dual belt. I am not sure if any the Singlel Belt Novi guys are still around. Both used the same head unit so it should not be hard to find answers.
    Last edited by speedytang; 04-15-2009 at 06:48 AM.

What happend with the dual belt kits? What did I miss? I still have mine and running great still!!
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

Everyone in my area converted to the dual belt from the single so finding dual belt owners should be easier to find on a 5.0 car.

Sounds like detonation to me.
    What is your timing at without the spout in.
    You should not be able to rotate the belt more than a 1/4" twisting it if using a 6-rib and you can go 1/2" twist on a 8-rib and not have the belt slip.

Senior SCH Member
    Does the noise sound like a bearing failure?

wow a 6-year old thread,
    if something failed on OP car i haven't heard any follow ups