Thread: Open Breather

Junior SCH Member

Open Breather

Is it okay to run an open breather on my oil fill tube and still run the PCV valve in the back of the lower manifold?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    That is the correct method

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks, I bought a new grommet for the PCV valve from Advance Auto, It fits better than the old dried up one, but i'd still like to see it fit tighter into the lower manifold. Not sure if this is causing a vacuum leak. Can I just do away with the PVC and vent everything better?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I would leave it attached. Are you getting oil in the intake?

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah I am sucking oil, I tried putting on the stock oil cap and it ran 100 times better. What I am going to do is run the stock oil cap and run a tube off the nipple and into the boost pipe after the MAF. (with a filter/valve) Then I plan on getting a oil/water separator and hook it up the the rear PCV valve. Does this all sound like a good plan?

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    Is it okay to run an open breather on my oil fill tube and still run the PCV valve in the back of the lower manifold?
    NO!

You have two choices

1) run the entire PCV system, with the line from back lower intake to upper intake intact like stock and the line from oil fill tube to THE INLET or powerpipe - NOT BETWEEN THE BLOWER AND TB

2) CAP OFF ALL PCV , both back lower , upper , and line from filler tube and run valve cover breathers. make a choice

Junior SCH Member
    You gotta make sure your PCV is holding pressure. Try blowing in it while mounted in the intake. If its not holding, you will blow oil out of your dipstick tube. I went through 3 of them to get one that worked.