Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Boost trouble - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boost trouble

SCH Member
    ok thanks for all the help thus far but now i have the thing completly disassembled i got a new shim kit bellevue washer and drive balls my next question is on the inside ring of my bellevue washer is turning black like a burnt of hot mark and its on both sides of it i think the balls are riding on it some is this normal? if not what do i need to do to fix it? here are some pics

SCH Member
    i pulled the impeller off and everything is still intact the dowls and everything is still holding so before when i would try n shim it when i wld get it assembled it would be really tight and notchy then i would drive it and when i get back its nearly smooth and turns freely and the impeller would slip if i tryed to turn it what gives? im really want to be done with this and get my car back on the road someone please help thanks in advance

Senior SCH Member
    The bellevue washer discolouration is likely just old burnt up ATF, the balls can't ride on that, the spacing of the races and the presence of the impeller shaft prevents that.

Can you take some clear pictures of the running part of the races and impeller shaft, as well?

You should be able to turn the blower from the impeller side as well as the pulley side, some small movement is ok, as this is a planetary drive and the system needs to be loaded before it exerts pressure on the I shaft via the balls loading up behind it.

F=MA

SCH Member
    which way does the bellevue washer go ?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daviszx3 View Post
    which way does the bellevue washer go ?
    It should act as a spring, so the outerside pusches to the large race.
    Behind the bellevue washer goes the shims.
    Be absolute 100% sure both races and the impellershaft are not pitted.
    When putting the blower back together forget about the impeller at this point, install everything but the rearplate and impeller and check the turning torque of the pulleybolt and make sure it is between 25-35 inch/pound if that is not ad/remove shims.
    If it is ok install the impeller and tiny shims and backplate.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    so should the inside edge of the bellevue should be down against the case or up with the outside edge against the case

Senior SCH Member
    The inside of the bellevue should be high, not the outside.

F=MA

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA View Post
    The inside of the bellevue should be high, not the outside.

F=MA
    You are mistaken, becouse then the shims would have no effect;)
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.

SCH Member
    so the inside of the bellevue should be low??

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah...pounder could be right...I guess I didn't really look at it when I've done my own, I just put it back as it was.

F=MA

Quote Originally Posted by daviszx3 View Post
    so the inside of the bellevue should be low??
    Yes , I have tried it the otherway around first but then when I shaked the whole unit (who does that anyway:freaks: ) when put back together I hear the shims moving up and down.
    Greets, Marco

SCH Member
    i put the charger back together and it was 25in lbs to turn it over with out any oil in it and i drove the car and it felt like it was pullin harder but my boost guage barely even moves off zero ??

Senior SCH Member
    See how it is full of fluid and seals in. 35-40 inch/lbs is good for that.

Centri blowers do need to be revved out under load to make boost so, unless you were winding it out WOT, you won't see much boost on the gauge. Mine hits 5 pounds only at 6000 RPM, WOT, and it's a standard pulley SN93. 5.0 litre Mustang application.

It's still fun to scoot around in the low boost, high vac zone, as the blower erases the pumping losses in the engine and makes it much more zippy even in non-WOT conditions.

F=MA

SCH Member
    alright im finally seein boost on the guage about 3 3.5 at around 4500 and seein 4.5 5 at 6k does this sound about right? also i using all stock pulleys but i have a 3 3/4 in charger pulley how much boost would i see with this pulley and is it even safe for the charger to use this pulley? also does anyone have any expeirence with the high output impeller thanks for all the help

Those boost numbers look ok.
    calculate your impeller speed using the math on the bottom of this page http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm

I think that without an oilcooler you must not exeed 40.000 rpm impellerspeed.
    Greets, Marco