Thread: cog alignment issues

cog alignment issues

89 fox body, currently running a 10 rib novi 2000 without any issues except belt slippage. Ordered a complete 50mm cog setup from ASP, first issue is radiator clearance which I was expecting, but what I wasn't ready for is the fact that the crank pulley sits in way too far and does not line up with the blower pulley. Any ideas, experience or advice on either issue????? thanks

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I have seen a spacer that goes between the harmonic and the cog. I have seen these used for the 6-71 blowers. How far off are we talking? What brand of Harmonic Balancer are you using.

Just for some more clarification the serpentine lines up on the crank but the blower is in too far so spacing the pulley will throw off the serpentine.

Now I am confused in what your talking about. How about some pictures. I have installed many cog kits for the Novi 2000 and 'SN' units.

some more explanation

Don't have any pics yet, I will later today. This is what is happening. If you would look on a passenger side view of the car, you would see that the blower pulley and crank pulley are not lined up. The crank pulley sits in further than the blower pulley and therefore the belt would actually be riding off of the crank pulley toward the radiator. Spacing the crank pulley out to line it up with the blower pulley would not work because the part of the crank pulley that accepts the factory serpentine belt is in the correct spot. So if I would space out off of the balancer, my serpentine belt would not line up. Maybe this will give you a better visual for now. I talked to ASP and they said that I could mill the spacer off of the back of the blower pulley to help move it inward, well if I do that I will have to mill the idler sleeves too because they would not line up. One problem fixed seems to lead to another. Since you have said you have installed many kits, what is your solution for the upper radiator hose directly interfering with the blower pulley? Thanks for the responses.

I myself took a guess you had the seperate cog to crank pulley style, which of course you can space out. I never had a problem because we would cut the hose down to the elbow to make a quick 90* out of the radiator. I have even Weld/TIG a 90* out of the radiator if I had a problem because the owner installed taller motor mounts. So you never had a problem with the original Blower belt jumping the crank pulley? I have used ASP stuff for years and never had a install problem but I have never used a serp/cog billet unit from them. I start wondering about the cog crank unit since they made the comment of milling the unit.

jumping belt

Nope, never had a problem jumping, but as I had said the 10 rib lined up perfectly, this one does not. I think I am going to weld the 90 on the rad....it is the only clean fix I can see that will work. I am making some progress, I'll post a pic when it is finished. Thanks for all of the input.