Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Belt routing problem?

Thread: Belt routing problem?

Belt routing problem?

I got the Novi 2K on a 89 Mustang. Its got no AC and the Power steering is moved up to where the AC was with the FORD bracket. Its got a smog pump delete pulley.

I got the smallest belt I could get on there (two people holding it while another turned the motor to get the belt on) and the tensioner pushes the belt on to the water pump pulley? This belt took so much to get it on there I'm going to have to cut it off, so shorter belt is not and option.

What did I do wrong? Anyone got pics of there setup?

Help!

Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

This is a common problem. If you search the site you will find some good info. If memory serves me right you can get a larger PS pulley that will fix the issue. I believe its from a 3.8 V6 rear wheel drive like on the Thunder Birds/Cougars.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    This is a common problem. If you search the site you will find some good info. If memory serves me right you can get a larger PS pulley that will fix the issue. I believe its from a 3.8 V6 rear wheel drive like on the Thunder Birds/Cougars.
    Got the T-bird pulley from a 3.8L and had to unbolt the PS pump to get belt on than swing it back and install PS bolt. Its working but 'm going to order the 94-95 Cobra WP pulley its smaller and gives more room.
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

So now I have the 3.8L PS pulley and the 93 cobra WP pulley and it works but had 1/16" clearance and that not enough! What other tricks are there?

I'm I stuck going back to the stock location of the PS and putting a AC delete pulley up there? Thats crazy, and ugly!

Is there a way to do away with the tensioner and use a manual tensioner to swung the PS pump out to tighten the belt? I'm running out of ideas.
    Mike

89 Notchback:

Senior SCH Member
    Is there any way you can do away with the tensioner all together. Assuming the alternator is under the supercharger, can you be creative and turn the alternator itself into a swinger so it can adjust the belt tension??

Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    Is there any way you can do away with the tensioner all together. Assuming the alternator is under the supercharger, can you be creative and turn the alternator itself into a swinger so it can adjust the belt tension??
    Don't think there is enough room to swing adjust the alt but the PS pump might be easier. I saw this picture below and I like the idea, but the tensioner mounting to the little cast ear on the timing cover is kinda scary. That cant hold much pressure.
    Mike

89 Notchback: