Thread: welder help

SCH Member

welder help

I just bought a CH 110v Mig welder, the gas bottle I have for it is 100% co2, I was reading the manual and it recommends against using 100% c02, for steel it recommends argon co2 mix. Could this be causing really poor penetration? I thought that co2 helped weld penetration. I am just practicing welding a bead on 1/4 plate. I get a really tall bead even when trying to burn in, and if I hit it with a sledge hammer I can shear the weld bead off the plate. What else could I be doing wrong; I am using a .30 wire

I was welding a bunch of pipe I cut up at odd angles, and the welds looked really tall, it was thin wall like 1/6 thick or so. Either tall welds or punch through. And yes I had the welder at the highest setting. It is a ch105, but I think it only puts out 85 amps. The welder says it is capable of welding 3/16 in a single pass. At 20% duty cycle, I welded all day but never tripped the duty cycle I was surprised by that. I went through a 2 lb spool today.

And I have never welded before today, so I am most likely doing something really stupid wrong.

sorry did not know where to put this.

SCH Member
    It was the gas. I had 2 problems. One the welder is not really designed to work with co2, 2 it has a non adjustable regulator set up at 35cfm, it was blowing the weld out. I got a new tank today co2/argon, and a decent adjustable regulator. I used up all of my .30 wire so I switched to .23, I grabbed some 1/16 scraps that I could not get penetration on before and had to turn the welder down to the lowest power setting and got GREAT penetration. Had a good clean weld out the back side of the panel. Used up the last of the .30 wire I had on the 1/4 plate, and same deal. It was an ugly weld, (I still suck), But much flatter, and good discoloration on the back of the plate.

Senior SCH Member
    Good info...........but what does it have to do with Paxton SN SUPERCHARGERS!?

Junior SCH Member
    Miller 185, I use only co2 and argon. Most welders on the inside on the wire feed door there is a chart for the settings depending on how thick the metal is. These charts are never wrong. Do not try and mig weld in front of a fan. it will blow the sheilding gas away from the tip and the weld will be very poor and have holes in it. I run my gas pressure around 28 to 35. The best welders are like artist. there is an art to welding.