Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which wideband sensor for blow-thru?

Thread: Which wideband sensor for blow-thru?

Junior SCH Member

Smile Which wideband sensor for blow-thru?

My carb may be running on the seriously rich side, so I was considering installing an oxygen sensor that could measure my air/fuel ratio at wide-open-throttle, throughout the rpm range (say, 2,500-6,000.)

I am pretty confused by all the choices, so I thought I'd ask on this forum if any of the folks here have a relatively accurate oxygen sensor operating in a blow-thru (carb) environment. I see them advertised anywhere from $150.00 up... Seems like there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in what they do, beyond having a single sensor or dual sensors, at least for ("no computer") carbs.

What is available that's relatively affordable, but works accurately? Are there units that have built-in problems that I need to stay away from?

Please steer me in the right direction. I need something that works, but won't break my sad little piggy-bank.

Thanks for any advice...
    Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Any of the wideband kits wil do
    http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...trypage=search

I use the LM-1 handheld, so when I am done tuning you can remove it simply.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    To me it is always the gage choice. They all now use the same type or brand of O2 sensor so it really comes to features. Get something that can record your driving so you can play back on your laptop/desktop. LM-1 has some nice features/options. AEM unit I have used on customers cars and they seem to offer nice features for under $200.
    https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...lay-gauge.aspx

Junior SCH Member
    Ended up ordering a ProSport unit. Hope it works okay.... I don't need leanout...

Thanks for the info!

Wideband Air Fuel Ratio kit

PSAFRLCD-WB1$229.00$229.00Subtotal: $229.00 Shipping & Handling: $15.25 Tax: $0.00 Order Total: $244.25

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that the Pro-Sport does not Log. You really need a unit that logs since it is really hard to watch the road and the gage at the same time, plus you need to see the complete range of your rpm and the gage is not fast enough or is your eyes.

Junior SCH Member

Uh Oh....

>>>"it is really hard to watch the road and the gauge at the same time"...

You got that right! I'm trying to "get to know" this supercharged engine and have been trying to watch the boost gauge to see how much boost this thing is making, (9 pounds, so far) and when it makes it, rpm-wise... and watch the tach, since I don't have a shift light (never needed one, before) and am not having much luck doing both, simultaneously...

I may end up buying a different unit if it turns out that in fact, there is no "log" function on this one.

Thanks for pointing that out!!! I appreciate the good information. I'll check that out, for sure.

Bill

Junior SCH Member
    Im running an Edelbrock unit on mine, have it mounted in the dash. Reads from 12:1 to 15:1 . Cost only 138 bucks from Summit. Its not as high tech as others on the market but not bad when used with a carburetor system. Im just finishing up tweaking on the jetting on mine.

Junior SCH Member

F.A.S.T. WIDEBAND LOGGER

I ended up cancelling the order for the ProSport unit because as Speedytang pointed out, it didn't log the data and I needed one that would.

I bought the F.A.S.T. unit but haven't gotten the bung welded in yet, so I am still in the dark. As soon as I get it operational, I'll have a report on it.

Mine's a blow-thru carbed Mopar (360 Magnum/Vortech V-1, S-trim.)

I'm pretty sure it's way rich, but that's "safe" for now. I'll tune it later.

Bill

HAMMER: Ttat Edelbrock A/F unit is just a Light Show.
    It uses a standard O2 sensor which is only made to read at WOT and at 14.7.
    Your better off tuning using your ear and checking spark plugs.
    Somethings are better off not using then trusting something that gives FALSE readings.

Junior SCH Member
    It does flash around some at times, but it has put me more in the ball park on jetting. I read plugs also. It really helps most in cruise mode and at idle for me. Im not running a power valve in my 750 so the jetting needs to be spot on.

If you need Spot On readings then your using the wrong item.
    The unit your using does not read at idle or cruise mode accurately at all.
    The factory O2 sensor is for cars using a computer that has a base map designed in it and just uses the O2 reading to check its map.
    If you could find someone with a wide-band to borrow you would be surprised how far off you are on the tuning unless your using your plugs for 100% of your tuning and just using the Edelbrock for the fancy light show.

Junior SCH Member
    Correct but not just using light show. I read the plugs and a few other things.