Thread: Why are people telling me to ditch the SN93?

SCH Member

Why are people telling me to ditch the SN93?

I here all the time get rid of the SN93...why?....it seems like a nice blower doesnt it make enough power?..Im also told since my car is a vert and AOD its going to be a slow turd?...lol...is it really..I mean it has one hell of a shift kit some bolt ons im going to be installing a B&M 2400 stall convertor and 3.73's also im installing an off road H-pipe and a Mac cat back..it already had BBK shortys..a 70 mm TB...im also going to be putting on a AFM power pipe..so is my car really going to be that slow...and should i ditch the SN93?...thanks:)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    6psi with a SN93 or 6psi with a Vortech A or S trim. The SN93 runs cooler and will make more horsepower at the same boost. Don't waste your money changing superchargers till you need over 10psi and most people can not afford to drive a vehicle daily that builds that much power.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    6psi with a SN93 or 6psi with a Vortech A or S trim. The SN93 runs cooler and will make more horsepower at the same boost. Don't waste your money changing superchargers till you need over 10psi and most people can not afford to drive a vehicle daily that builds that much power.

Thank you will a powerpipe help with boost too?....I really want to see if i can get this car into the low low 13's high 12's...i wonder if its possible?

Senior SCH Member
    I'll bet most of the asshats telling you this don't have a blower. Trust me, you can hit high 12s, even on a convertible, with traction and an SN93. Powerpipes are a waste of money in the 5-6 psi range. The SN is a great STREET blower. It's not oversized so, it has better power at lower revs than the S trim. The A trim is also great for street use, for the same reason. It truly makes the car feeel like a big block is under the hood and that's tons of fun.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    I am running a upr power pipe on my sn2000, no increase in boost and it was a real pain to get the discharge tube to fit over the power pipe because its really made for the vortech blowers, but after I installed it, I could hear the blower whine a little more then berfore which I liked and also it got rid of all that crappy intake piping. My car is also a vert, but an lx 5sd my car is by no means slow, Im sure it is way into the 12's but i have a few more boltons then you. If you can be happy with 5-7lbs of boost I don't think you cant beat this blower.

SCH Member
    Thanks guys...The car is at the shop now it had a few oil leaks ...the valve covers was leaking and the intake too..The motor sits there down to the block and heads...I need a radiator and im removing the smog pump and all the Air conditiong stuff ...even the condensor...Im even having him thak the heads off and putting new head gaskets and bolts...but the i said if im this far maybe i should do a set of heads and a Cam and maybe even a corba intake what do you think? Will this car then be in the 12's?????

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    What are your times. Mostly your 60' times. I would not destroy the car myself. Why remove the air condition. Our cars are appreciating at a good rate and it will be like the 60's again people trying to find cars that are complete and giving good money for them. In my area trying to find a nice condition Stang will get you nothing under $6k. You would be removing that weight to equal a gain of 15hp. You can get your 60' times down .20 and having that 15hp.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    What are your times. Mostly your 60' times. I would not destroy the car myself. Why remove the air condition. Our cars are appreciating at a good rate and it will be like the 60's again people trying to find cars that are complete and giving good money for them. In my area trying to find a nice condition Stang will get you nothing under $6k. You would be removing that weight to equal a gain of 15hp. You can get your 60' times down .20 and having that 15hp.
    Im not destroying it...no way just removing it because the lines are crappy looking and leaking just dont want to spend the money on a all new air conditioning system right now he is going to remove everything neat so i can re-install it at a later time...i would never ruin this car now way.....

EDIT...i never even ran the car i just got it and its in the shop...lol....i drove it maybe 3 times.....LOL
    Last edited by MY 93 GT; 03-30-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    It's all about cost vs performance. I purchaed my sn 2000 for my 91 Z28 11 yrs ago. I do wish I would have been able to get the ati procharger as I would have been able to increase my boost up to 20psi. however, the cost of my sn2000 has been an excellent bang for the buck! I get 9.5psi, have no problems with the supercharger! I hear a lot of bashing of the ball drive units, but they run cooler and spool up faster than other superchargers. I sold my Z last year:( to get a gmc typhoon, which is another headache in regards to chasing high HP. But, great ride none the less. Regarding the choice of supercharger, it's a matter of what you want out of it. If you want to run 20 psi, the paxton is probally not the unit you want. If you want to run 9 psi and have a very streetable car, dollar per dollar, ya cant beat it. As Speedy tang says, 9 psi from the ball drive will out preform most superchagers as the spool up is faster and cooler;)