Thread: Supercharging a TVR Griffith 500

Junior SCH Member

Supercharging a TVR Griffith 500

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I need some advice regarding supercharging a TVR Griffith 500.
    Is there any knowhow regarding such a undertaking?
    The cars engine is a bored out to 5 liter Rover V8, originally Buick based.
    I would like to use a mild supercharging solution to get an extra 50BHP or so. Basically I don't want to change anthing else on the car, like drivetrain and brakes and so on.
    I also want the costs to be fairly low, no more than $ 2000.- for the complet conversion .
    Is there a way to go?

Hier ist a picture of a supercharged Griffith done by a UK company,
    http://www.tvrpower.co.uk/sc.supercharger.php
    Sadly too expensive for me.

Regards,
    markus
    Germany

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you make your own bracket by making a template(cardboard) it would be simple to use a self contained unit like the older Paxton 'SN' units. Not exactly the forum for what I am going to say but a Turbo install would be easier and probably cheaper using used factory parts in the USA not sure about Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    If you make your own bracket by making a template(cardboard) it would be simple to use a self contained unit like the older Paxton 'SN' units. Not exactly the forum for what I am going to say but a Turbo install would be easier and probably cheaper using used factory parts in the USA not sure about Germany.
    I agree about using an SN. You can find one for relatively cheap. But the engine bay of the Griffith 500 looks a bit cramped for a blower the size of an SN; TVRPower used a small Rotrex.

Was there a turbo version of the Griffith 500 available from the factory? If so, then I agree - a used turbo setup might be cheaper. If not, then you'd have to piece everything together. That would entail a LOT of fabrication work.