Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need opinions on S/C 302 build

Thread: Need opinions on S/C 302 build

Junior SCH Member

Need opinions on S/C 302 build

I have a 115k miles on my '92 that has 10-12lbs oil pressure @ idle (warmed up) leading me to believe that it's time. I drove the car a couple weeks ago, and got into some higher revs & now it sounds like there is a valvetrain issue on the driver's side. I've only driven the car around 1200 miles in the 3-4 years since the blower install. It is a street car that will be driven more once the motor & slipping clutch are fixed. It might see the track once in a great while for laughs. It still has the stock T-5 in it, so I'm not 100% sure what to run for a clutch as I can see imminent tranny failure with more power...and a clutch that can actually take it. I have a Centerforce sitting on a shelf here, so I might give that a try.

Quick list of mods - GT40 intake, TFS Heads w/1.6s, E Cam, Novi 2k w/ Power Pipe, 42lb Inj. & MAF, 255lph pump. The car was chipped & tuned...made 475rwhp, then de-tuned it a bit. The boost is around 8-10 psi.

I'm not looking into getting an aftermarket block even though I am approaching the breaking point of the block. I'm looking for thoughts on what to do. I'm thinking just a budget rebuild to a 306 using all the parts that I'm already running. I figure my hp will increase just by the fact that I won't have blowby any more. Don't we all love oil spewing forth out of the dipstick tube?
    The only possible upgrades might be a Stage 1 port job done to the heads while they are being looked at, but haven't decided. Since the block is the weak point, I can't see buying forged internals except for the pistons. Also, I'm still running stock fuel rails that did flow enough, but I figure now would be a good time to upgrade as a safety factor. Any recommendations on rails...especially ones that don't interfere with the distributor & with fittings to stock lines?

I thank you in advance for your comments & opinions.

Junior SCH Member
    If you're not willing to step up to a better block take a look at the DSS short blocks. They hold up fairly well as long as you don't get crazy. The other thought would be to at minimum put a girdle on the mains of your current block to offer just a bit more support.

With the low oil pressure and noise you are hearing, I wouldn't be surprised if you cracked the stock block.

Stay away from DSS. They are just high priced stock blocks with cheap stroker kits. I know several guys who had their DSS motors fail instantly. Your best bet is to find a local machine shop and let them build something for you. This way if you have issues, you can go back to them and not have to deal with some far away company over the phone.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage