Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Water pump woes...

Thread: Water pump woes...

Water pump woes...

I moved the PS pump up to the AC location and deleted the AC. This is common and done with a Ford bracket used on non AC cars. The Novi 2K blower holds the Alternator so between these tow things it created problems with the tensioner pushing the belt into the water pump pulley. Another common problem and the solution is to use a PS pulley from a 3.8L V6, done...and a WP pullet .75" smaller from a 1993 Mustang Cobra, done. this solved the belt hitting the water pump that plagued me on the last dyno session. Now for the issue, at 5K RPM or higher on the dyno it sprays high pressure water out what I can only tell is the weep hole on the water pump??? WTF? Does not even drip a drop under 5K.

Got me open for suggestions, nobody I have spoke to have seen this before. Reving motor above 5K with out boost still causes a leak so NO its not a head gasket pressurizing the cooling system.

??????????
    Last edited by IcantDo55; 06-19-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Reving motor above 5K with out boost causes no leak, Your own words so I would say yes it is a head gasket pressurizing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    Reving motor above 5K with out boost causes no leak, Your own words so I would say yes it is a head gasket pressurizing the system.
    Oops, reverse that, it does leak.

Sorry.
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    It could just be a bad pump, Your spinning the motor at 5k rpm and your building pressure from the water pump pushing at 12-15 lbs. It could also still be a head gasket. Your engine is pressurizing the water jacket and that is 140-160 psi from your cylinders. Rent a radiator pressure tester and pump the cooling system up and watch for leaks or the pressure drop.

Is it an Edelbrock water pump? I thought i read that somewhere. If it is, that's your problem. They are garbage and every one that I have ever seen leaks out that hole.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by RdRunnr View Post
    Is it an Edelbrock water pump? I thought i read that somewhere. If it is, that's your problem. They are garbage and every one that I have ever seen leaks out that hole.
    Yes it was an edelbrock part. I have replaced it today with a
    http://www.stewartcomponents.com/

water pump, hope that solves it.

PS: what a PITA to get to, had to remove all the blower brackets to get to one water pump bolt! AHHHHH!:angry:
    Mike

89 Notchback:

Water pump woes

I deleted the smog pump and EGR from my 85. No codes. Even was able to use the mounting bracket from the air pump to make up a mount for an idler pulley to take the place of the pump.