Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
20 mins of all-out punishment

Thread: 20 mins of all-out punishment

Junior SCH Member

20 mins of all-out punishment

Is anyone in here running an SN on a roadcourse? I owned one back in the 90's when I was weekend drag-racing.. but Now I've evolved a bit and learned to turn the wheel some... and went and bought a SN2000 just to turn an overpowered car into a very overpowered one. I've got a huge deep Nascar(really, came from a team secondhand) oil cooler mounted in a good airstreram and a Holley Blue pump, using that dip-stick thing. Back in the 90's my SN-89 seemed to get REAL hot with just street driving. I'm worried I'll lose track-time the first day with this experiment. It's just a stock pulley rig, the setup may do 5 psi.

Is anyone else punishing theirs? - 10 hot-laps at the 1/4 maybe??

Yeah.. first post.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I used a VR4 for Road Racing for years at open track events at Mid-Ohio. Never a problem and I was pushing 14psi for 20 minutes at a time. You will have a problem with that pump. It flows to fast and will not allow the fluid time to cool. Your better off with a small universal bargain pump for a import car from the 70's.

Junior SCH Member
    aaarrgh. I just finished a lengthy reply and apparently theres a timeout to the bbs software and I lost the whole reply.... so I'll be quick.

blue pump flows 0.5fps through a 0.5" OD tube with the fluid cold. I have not tested it hot. Waiting on more parts to be able to run the car. I will install a manual bypass, or maybe the supplied regulator to see the change. The cooler may perform well based on it's 3" thickness and decent location below my battery tray (Front right).

Do you know, at what sustained fluid temperature I should be concerned? 300 maybe?

I haven't been on Mid-Ohio, Oreilley in Indy though... before they renamed it that is. Love the run behind the stands. I probably can't go full-throttle from the staging-lanes to the sharp right anymore once I add the SC.

Thanks for the info and tip. I'll get a mini pump like you say for testing and it's good to have spare stuff anyway.

I always kept my fluid between 185-200 in racing conditions and 20-30 degrees cooler on the street.

Junior SCH Member
    I'll shoot for 200 and alarm at 220. I'll post some temperature drop data at different flow rates eventually. I hate to geek-out like that but hopefully someone finds it useful some day.

Thanks again speedytang. I had gone through the boards before asking questions and I'll say you're a helpful individual!

SCH Member
    does anyone have any data on what the temps are without the cooler ?

Z. Ray

'65 K code

5psi was around 240 degrees and 8psi is about 310 degrees.
    Now when I took these temperatures it was 80 degrees outside and these are temperatures taken after 3 back to back 1/4 runs to keep the unit at the posted PSI.
    I then installed a Stock sized cooler unit and ran the units again with new fluid that was 86 degrees and ran the car again with 3 back to back runs. 5psi was 185 degrees and 8psi was 210 degrees. I then removed the fluid and installed a large(huge) 3 quart transmission cooler instead of the 8 oz unit that Paxton supplied. I ran the car again with cooled fluid. 5psi was 145 degrees and 8psi was 185 degrees. I then installed my racing pulley and at 14psi peaking at times at 16psi I ran 3 back to back and never went over 210 degrees.
    The cooling unit is very important when driven hard at any length of time but daily driving even my VR4 with a now and then 12-14psi I never saw my digital temperature gauge go over 145 degrees with the large cooler in front of the radiator. You could run the Type 'F' transmission fluid for 15k miles and still be under the load rating of the fluid.