Thread: VR-4 & Tall valve covers

Junior SCH Member

VR-4 & Tall valve covers

I've pulled my 5.0 for a rebuild. I would like to add some aluminum roller rockers but that would require me to also get tall valve covers. The inlet tube on my VR-4 already almost touches the short valve covers that are on it now. Will it clear the tall ones?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Nope. I never found any that cleared.

SCH Member

Roller rockers- Tall Valve cover solution

Hey speedytang,
    This is 89LX..I just bought a brand new set of GT40X heads with the
    Ford racing roller rocker arms and they call for the "Tall" valve covers but a stock height substitute is to use the Cobra-R valve covers the filler neck is moved up front behind
    the backside of the Supercharger and on the inside the oil baffle is flat and also to the front of the valve cover that is the only Tall spot..I'll try to attach a photo of the cover. 100_0890.jpg

100_0889.jpg

100_0891.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I have had to cut the valve covers and weld a flat spot on the end to clear the power pipe and the boost tube before.

SCH Member
    I just thought you would like to see the cobra R covers as they are a little different for sure. From what I understand they are the only standard height valve covers that will clear the roller rockers and it is because of how the baffle is flat and at the same height
    as the rest of the cover. It humps up just at the filler location only, as you can see in the photos. The foot notes in the Ford racing catalog state you must modify the baffle in most covers except the tall ones and this set.
    On another note I'm still trying to get the VR4 kits produced if you know of anyone interested please have them e-mail me so I can put them in touch with Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels, we need a total of 15 names to get them done. My e-mail is tfdali@sbcglobal.net
    Thanks for your time, 89LX, Todd

Junior SCH Member
    I have a set of Crane 1.7 rr on my 93GT with stock valve covers. I just had to modify/ hammer on the baffle with a brass drift. No clearance issues now.