Thread: Third member stabber tool...

Junior SCH Member

Third member stabber tool...

Here are some shots of a tool (jig) I made for installing a Mopar 8.75" center section into the housing, in the car, without having to physically lift it into place. At approximately 75 pounds for one of these units, my old body was complaining bitterly every time I had to manually bench-press one of these cast-iron pigs into place, so I thought to myself, "Self; there's got to be a better way!!!"

There is....

Here is a graphic representation (pictures) of the result of that little conversation I had with myself.

The red and white transmission jack (Harbor Freight) was my starting point. The orange "jig" is the part I made. and is kept from moving around on the jack, by 4 bolts that protrude from the bottom, into 4 receiving holes in the top of the jack pad. The third bolt in the top of the orange unit is to adjust the angle of the mounting face where it mates up with the housing, so the bolts will be easy to start (straight.)

The attachment method I used was a pair of Grade 8 3/8" bolts screwed into the two bolt holes that are on top of the pinon snout of a Mopar 8.75" center section. I don't know what a 9" Ford has in that area, but I'm sure there is probably something there that can be used to anchor the pinion housing to the lifting device (jig.)

I also made a "cradle" to lift and hold the third member while I attached it to the jig. There's a picture of that, too...

You young guys would have no use for something like this, nor would anyone running an 8.8" Ford or a G.M. 10 or 12-bolt, but the older guys, who run rear ends with a removeable center section, might want to look at it.

Those things get heavier every year... LOL!

Click on pictures for larger view...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill Dedman; 06-25-2009 at 02:58 AM.

SCH Member
    I think your "self" was thinking smart! Very cool idea.

This is absolutely brilliant Bill! Even if this is only useful for guys running removable center-section rear differentials, I think it serves as inspiration to those looking for a creative solution to a similar problem.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words!

Well, I wasn't "too smart."

I forgot to measure the distance between the mufflers, and I needed about 7 inches width available for this "tool... rolling up to the rear axle housing. Can't use it if I can't get it in there... lol!

Guess what? My W-I-D-E, Dyno-Max Super Turbos were only about 5 inches apart, and there wasn't any room to move them over, sooooo...
    I now have, in their place, a pair of Pypes M-80s that are only 4" wide.

I have plenty of room, now.... and, plenty of decibels... some $140.00 later.... lol!

I can't think of EVERYTHING.... :(
    Last edited by bill Dedman; 06-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.