Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
D-1 SC idler problem

Thread: D-1 SC idler problem

Junior SCH Member

D-1 SC idler problem

Hello, I have had problems with my idler. The idler jumps around in a manner I feel is excessive. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I think it would be a good idea to replace the idler with a new one. The idler has come almost apart before, I can say that it was not easy to get it back together after i took it apart to inspect it. There is a gap on one end where the internal springs are and the other end it is pinched together. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

SCH Member
    The spring loaded idlers do have a tendency to bounce around quite a bit. The only way to "fix it" is to replace it with an adjustable fixed one on it. You may have to modify your bracket to make that work out for you. Here is an example:
    Last edited by Michael; 08-04-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed picture position

Junior SCH Member
    A fixed mount adjustable, I could do that. Would there be any gains with having two fixed idlers? Say one on the top side and one on the bottom side to help with belt wrap around the blower pulley. Would you have a close up of the solid mount in that picture? (that looks like the monter carlo in prochargers chevrolet book) Thank you for your help and quick response.

SCH Member
    Heck yes, that would be the ultimate way to go. The more belt contact around the blower pulley the better. That will make your chances of belt slippage. We have guys doing that pretty often. I will do my best to get you a better pic of what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpgas69 View Post
    A fixed mount adjustable, I could do that. Would there be any gains with having two fixed idlers? Say one on the top side and one on the bottom side to help with belt wrap around the blower pulley. Would you have a close up of the solid mount in that picture? (that looks like the monter carlo in prochargers chevrolet book) Thank you for your help and quick response.

SCH Member
    It may take me a little bit to find you a good pic. My computer is stuffed full of engine pics. Please bear with me.
    Kim
    www.smreperformance.com
    Last edited by SMRE; 08-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    The junky bronze bushing that procharger gives you in the idler instead of a thrust bearing wears out and then the idler starts to cop a lean thus warping the belt and throwing it eventually. I had to take the parts out of the idler including the springs and drill a bolt through the whole mess. Then I manually adjust the tension with the spring action gone. Im not going to be buying bronze bushings every year from them.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelzip View Post
    The junky bronze bushing that procharger gives you in the idler instead of a thrust bearing wears out and then the idler starts to cop a lean thus warping the belt and throwing it eventually. I had to take the parts out of the idler including the springs and drill a bolt through the whole mess. Then I manually adjust the tension with the spring action gone. Im not going to be buying bronze bushings every year from them.
    So the bronze bushing is probably at fault then. Well i have given up on the whole spring loaded tensioner. Im looking into making a new 3/4 in. plate with two adjustable rigid mount tensioners. A .750'' x 12" x 16" 6061 aluminum plate is going to run around $150 to $190, but i figure at $80 dollars a belt it will pay for itself.