Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuild Time

Junior SCH Member
    Thx for the pic anything helps!! If anybody else has any diagrams or settings or advise feel free to chime in. Good luck on fixing yours JPJP!!

Senior SCH Member
    Well I figured "how" I broke the casting. I was assembling the unit upside down and the shims got shifted. Tightening (forcing) the case together against them was a bad move.

Senior SCH Member
    Now I have assembled it together with the rear seal out (still have to order). I get this scratchy sound. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I am using brand new balls and impeller shaft. I am reusing the races as they only had a wear pattern.

I recleaned the balls and got the same results no matter how many shims I used. I tried using the old balls and even tried assembling it with another set of used races. Are the races the issue? I am dumbfounded.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Did you clearance the impeller to make sure it is not hitting the housing. Also have you put some fluid on the parts for lubrication.

Senior SCH Member
    I still haven't even gotten to getting the impeller on and yes I put fluid on them when assembling. Keep the feedback coming please.

I called Craig at Paradise Wheels. Looks like I did a big no-no. I bought balls from McMaster which are Grade 25 and also hardened to Rockwell 'C' of about 65. The grade 25 has much too loose a diameter tolerance. The balls also need to be Grade 5 or better. Paradise wheels goes even better than that and uses Swiss made Grade 0.

The balls are supposed to be sacrificial and be relatively soft to conform to the races. The harder balls scratched up my races it appears.

I now have a set of balls and races on order.

Quote Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
    The grade 25 has much too loose a diameter tolerance. The balls also need to be Grade 5 or better. Paradise wheels goes even better than that and uses Swiss made Grade 0.

The balls are supposed to be sacrificial and be relatively soft to conform to the races. The harder balls scratched up my races it appears.
    I thought the engineering spec called for Grade 25 balls to be used?

Senior SCH Member
    This is what Craig told me yesterday on 11/10/09: Grade 5 or better!