Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Novi2k and max boost at 55k only seeing 14lbs??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novi2k and max boost at 55k only seeing 14lbs??

Senior SCH Member

Novi2k and max boost at 55k only seeing 14lbs??

I upped the pulley combo to a 8.25 and 3.400 so at 6500 rpm it should be putting the Novi at 55k impellar speed or the max the blower is rated at according to paxton.

On the dyno it was only able to get 14lbs @6000 before the tires would spin and smoke on the rollers which still produced 641 rwhp at 6k. I could really care less about the dyno numbers but I am concerned with the boost. It did have 10lbs at 4500 rpm. Little to no belt slip as I have a 10 rib with brace and the belt was freakin tight!

I figured it to be more in the range of 16 to 17lbs and now it has me questioning the air filter, intercooler effientcy, and cam as some where something is restricting the boost or is this the max that the novi can produce?

Set up is a 393 with canfield heads, super victor efi, 90mm t-body, 2" kooks headers. 6" diameter K&N cone air filter, X02 water to air intercooler and cam specs below.

Hyd Roller
    116 lobe center
    .603 lift with 232 @.050 intake
    .578 lift with 250 @.050 exh

Any help is much appreaciated

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Big motor and large valve and port heads. I would think 14-15 psi would be about correct. Same combination on a small 302 would be about 18 psi. Your feeding a large motor.

Senior SCH Member
    Well here is one thing I should of explained better. I made 13lbs with a 7.75 crank and the 3.4

I bumped up to a 8.25 crank and it only gained one pound.......hmm, that has me scratching my *** a little.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If your using a Intercooler I would question the total area size.

If you go look at the boost chart you are right in there with the other big windsor motors as far as boost. You've actually done everything right as far as serpentine goes, you have a great ratio with a large blower pulley giving the best surface area for a serpentine setup reducing chances of slip. That doesn't mean you aren't seeing any though especially if the blower is trying to push the air past the intercooler.

8.00/3.00 = 2.66 = 13#'s @ 5900 rpm 396 heads/cam/intake 55696 (A/A intercooler)
    8.00/3.00 = 2.66 = 15#'s @ 5800 rpm 351 heads/intake 54752 (A/A intercooler (Powerstroke))
    7.40/3.20 = 2.31 = 12#'s @ 6300 rpm 393 heads/cam/intake 50990 (A/W intercooler) 650rwhp

Yours

8.25/3.40 = 2.42 = 14#'s @ 6000 rpm 383 heads/cam/intake 51538 (A/A intercooler) 641rwhp

I would guess the lack of gain is due to the intercooler being a restriction as kind of mentioned. This could have been a similar problem for the setups above. Without seeing the power curve it's hard to guesstimate. Otherwise you have a lot of parts providing a lot of flow, so boost won't be that high. Without knowing what kind of intercooler you have it's a toss up whether that is the restriction. I ran the calculation on your impeller rpm and you will probably make a lb. or two in that 500 rpm, but if you look at those other combinations, you are already making more boost than they are with a lower crank/pulley ratio.

Take into consideration you have an auto with what I assume was a high stall converter which won't be accurate on a dyno, and a mustang dyno at that which read lower than a dynojet to begin with. If you threw it on a dynojet and had a manual in it, it very well would have spit out a 700whp+ number. Have you been taking it to the same mustang dyno and what increase have you seen in power since then? Since you run your car at the track, I would see what the track numbers tell you. Aside from Georg Greco Jr. and some of the older Novi racers using the race version, I'm not sure I've seen a street Novi do more than 750whp on a dyno. That was from a windsor based motor like yours.

I actually got mine running again and hope to finish the tuning, so we'll see what it does after 6 years. It also has an 8" converter with a 4k stall so the dyno numbers are skewed. last pull it made 599whp at only 6500-6800 rpm as I was in the middle of tuning and had to call it quits because I was going broke being on the dyno all afternoon. Not quite sure on the RPM as the machine wasn't picking up rpm, it only showed power based on mph. But I pullied the motor for ~60k impeller @ 7800rpm since I put a solid roller in the motor, so its definitely got some left in it. It will probably be 2 months though before I can report back.
    Last edited by Hustler; 08-19-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks Huslter

We dynoed last thursday and I went to the track friday but it blew the clutches in PA C4 right off of the trans brake so no time was available. I will find out in two weeks when I get the tranny back. Last time on the dyno it spit 613rwhp at 6200 rpm, always same dyno. So it did pick up quite a bit. The converter is a 10" PTC that is fairly tight.

I am hoping to run in 8.90 range, last time out it ran a 9.36 at 144 shifting at 6400 and pulling 1.32 60fts weighing 3280 on 275 drag radials.

I changed from a 3.55 gear down to a 3.31 while also upping the boost and installing one of these braces I made. We will see I guess.

Good luck on yours Hustler

No doubt you will reach your goal with a little fine tuning. It looks like I was wrong about the dyno #'s, but they can be fudged by a dyno operator. Anyway check out the thread below, it may be a good read and give you some things to check including timing.

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/sho...ight=novi+2000

SCH Member
    Any news in this interresting post?

mrtbolt? Did you get more boost now?

Hustler, what about your setup?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    Any news in this interresting post?

mrtbolt? Did you get more boost now?

Hustler, what about your setup?

I am not seeing any noticable belt slip and by the BS3 logs it pretty consistent at 15.9psi.

Best pass was a 9.22 at 147. We went testing at another track refinining the tune from from the dyno but I have yet to get a clean pass with it but the signs are promising. Have to wait till next year

SCH Member
    By the way, could you let me know the boost you get according the rpm? I mean, roughly.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    By the way, could you let me know the boost you get according the rpm? I mean, roughly.
    15.9 was right at the shift point of 6400. That was with a 8.25 crank and a 3.4 blower pulley. So figure about 54000 rpm impeller speed of the novi2k.

For boost by rpm I will have to check my logs when I get home

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    15.9 was right at the shift point of 6400. That was with a 8.25 crank and a 3.4 blower pulley. So figure about 54000 rpm impeller speed of the novi2k.

For boost by rpm I will have to check my logs when I get home
    Impatient to see your log! Thanks dude!

SCH Member
    Hey mrtbolt you gonna make and sell those blower braces?Orwould you be willing to do so?LMK Chip

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Gunion View Post
    Hey mrtbolt you gonna make and sell those blower braces?Orwould you be willing to do so?LMK Chip
    Yes, what supercharger you running?

SCH Member
    NOVI 2000 Renegade.8.2 deck Rblock