Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My next engine, Ford 331ci

Thread: My next engine, Ford 331ci

SCH Member

My next engine, Ford 331ci

Hello,

What we are currently building:

New Ford Racing Boss block (already purchased, on the way), stroked to 331ci
    AFR 205 heads
    Custom cam
    Custom carb

I'll swap the manual transmission this winter for a custom C6 from Broader Performance in Texas. The transmission is on the way.

What I still have doubt is the power adder I'd like to use.

Either a roots blower, 174 Weiand or a Paxton.

My goal is 650-700hp and a ton of torque at low rpm, no high rev shifting (6500rpm max). Only pump gas with a water/methanol injection.

By experience, what do you suggest?

I alreayd contacted ATI Procharger (Bob Woods) and for $3800, he proposed me a D-1SC but the brackets only fit the driver side and I've a power steering. He said he has a special adapter kit to relocate the power steering for $200 but I don't know if it's a tight fit?

I'm waiting an answer from Paxton, Texas Automotive Export in Texas is dealing with exportation issues.

For the roots blower, it's easier but I don't know if I'll reach safely 650-700hp.

Thank you

Dylan

SCH Member
    Hello Dylan,
    I am not sure how tight a fit the power steering relocation bracket is going to be in this. Bob Woods at The Supercharger Store is a great guy to deal with and he won't steer you in the wrong direction. Also, there is always the option of custom bracketry.
    Kim
    SMRE

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRE View Post
    Hello Dylan,
    I am not sure how tight a fit the power steering relocation bracket is going to be in this. Bob Woods at The Supercharger Store is a great guy to deal with and he won't steer you in the wrong direction. Also, there is always the option of custom bracketry.
    Kim
    SMRE
    Kim,

I trust Bob, no worry for that but I would like to have different options before burning my credit card if you what I mean.

As soon as I'll get a return from Paxton, I'll share the information here to select the appropriate parts to make the 331ci pushing like a bear :)

SCH Member
    I got some news from Paxton:

Paxton 1500SL Compressor polished finish $2070

Crank pulley assembly with belt for use with original V-belt set up $123

Mounting bracket assembly with alternator relocation hardware $215

I also contacted SMRE and both are working to give me a quote and the best pulley ratio for what I'm looking for.

SCH Member
    Unfortunaly, none gave me an accurate quote... Why? No idea, maybe thew get so many questions per day that they throw mine...

In any case, just for the eyes, I got my new Boss 302 engine block.

Bulletproof C6 1000hp transmission from Broader Performance....

This winter, we are going to install the new C6 and as I'm pretty sure I'll sell easily my T5Z transmission, I'll buy the rotating assembly. I plan to buy the heads before summer 2010 then I'll be almost ready for the supercharger but as mentionned above, I'm dissapointed...

Senior SCH Member
    No offense sponge but I got to question you on a couple things. Since you spent all the money on a aftermarket block and going to spend the money on the rotating assembly why did you go small and not start out with 400+ cubes with 351 block? Same with blower such as novi 2k or vortech ysi kit? To get to that 700 hp point your going to have to spin that 331 up pretty high or have one of those smaller blowers pulleyied pretty good

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    No offense sponge but I got to question you on a couple things. Since you spent all the money on a aftermarket block and going to spend the money on the rotating assembly why did you go small and not start out with 400+ cubes with 351 block? Same with blower such as novi 2k or vortech ysi kit? To get to that 700 hp point your going to have to spin that 331 up pretty high or have one of those smaller blowers pulleyied pretty good
    Hi,

I know bigger will give easier hp's but I don't want to have 700hp because I'm sure it's too much for a street car. I'll see how it's going.

Dylan
    Last edited by Sponge; 11-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.

I am driving my 825 RWHP, 80% Street use car every weekend with no problem. You just have to press the gas pedal like you are pushing on a egg. I am running a YSi drivers side Renegade, and have 3 seperate head pullies and belts to swap from drivable, to insane.
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker