Thread: Crank Case Ventalation

SCH Member

Crank Case Ventalation

Beating a dead horse!

I have a 89gt. Fresh rebuild, gt40 heads and intake's,tfs1 cam and a paxton sn93 blower. I installed the paxton sn93 I bought this weekend but have a few more question involving ventalation.

I capped off the port on the oil fill tube and the port on the throttle body that it went to.

I'm using the stock valve cover with no port for a vent. SO.......

1. Can I run the stock PCV before the blower and be done with it.

Or do I need more ventalation. I REALLY don't want to have to buy new valve covers as I spent all my money on the blower setup.

Thanks again, Kris

P.S. I was down stairs looking at the car and had a revelation. I do in a sense have a vent on the pass side valve cover. The little hole that comes out of the fill tube. Can I put a breather on that and leave it open to the atmosphere and solve my problem. Or should I do both.
    Last edited by mongol; 01-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You can put a little filter on that oil fill stub or get the K&N filter that takes place of the oil cap.

SCH Member
    Speedy stang, If I do that do I leave the PCV alone and in it's stock form or run it before the paxton head unit.

Thanks kris
    Last edited by mongol; 01-21-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Stock location.

Senior SCH Member
    Why would you remove the hose from there anyway? Also why do you need to add a breather? Lastley does anyone have part number for K&N filter?

You remove the hose because blow-by will put a oil mist into the throttle body from that tube coming off the oil fill tube. You don't really need a breather unless the motor is building up pressure and causing the oil stick to push up causing oil to splash every place.
    K&N ENGINEERING 62-1495
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior SCH Member
    you da man...

SCH Member
    Speedystang,
    You said that the vent should not be put on the oil fill cap unless you have excessive blow by blowing out the dipstick. Since I just rebuilt it it might be ok. You think that I should just leave the pcv stock and cap off the oil fill vent. If it doesn't blow out the dipstick then do nothing and if it does then I will add the breather on the oil fill tube. Sound like a plan to you? thanks Kris

That is exactly what I would do.

SCH Member
    I added the K&N screw in breather cap and it works just fine in my 89LX.

Senior SCH Member
    Put the breather on the oil fill on the valve cover. Take your PCV valve and drill a larger hole in the bottom so you can push out the plunger. Install the gutted PCV valve and run a line from the PCV valve to the barb on the oil fill.

This works great on my setup.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381