Thread: bigger charger or add nitrous?

Junior SCH Member

bigger charger or add nitrous?

i have an s10 blazer with a supercharged 383 stroker. unfortunatly i went with a tbi setup. i am currently taking engine out and want to reach around 600hp. i am installing better heads and putting holley's commander 950 mpi injection on it. i currently have a wynjammer supercharger on it. the wynjammer is only capible of producing max of 450hp. would i benifit more from a bigger charger or just add a shot of nos? going to b a daily driver so nos would barley, if ever used. whole setup only has 5000 miles on it so i cant decide witch route would be better to take. has anyone here ever done supercharger with nos? if b better to go with bigger charger, what kind? already have a lot of money tied up, so tryn to go the best route, with the most economical one, if thats possible. any comments would b greatly appriciated.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks alot for all the help, info, whatever.

What heads are currently on this engine and what new heads are you going with? And are you leaving the existing cam? Almost anyone will tell you to swap the cam together with the heads to get the best overall performance.

As for the Wynjammer supercharger, how much boost are you currently running? Do you have an intercooler installed or are you using a water/methanol injection system?

Since the vehicle is a daily driver, I'd probably steer clear of a NOS system. If you were use the car for a weekend drag racer, then I'd feel differently but on the street - especially as a daily - I don't think it's a good idea. Others may disagree with me though. But to answer you question directly, yes, there are people who have installed a supercharger and NOS. The combination works incredibly well, however you do have the inconvenience of having to refill the NOS tanks which is no big deal when you're talking about a race car, but can be a bit of a pain for a daily driver.

Personally, before spending money on a new set of heads, I would consider swapping out the TBI setup for something much better flowing. A TPiS MiniRam or a Holley StealthRam will easily outflow a TBI setup, and will accommodate larger flowing cylinder heads in the future, should you continue to go that route. The MiniRam has a much lower profile than the StealthRam so depending on hood clearance and/or your attitude towards installing a high-rise hood on your S10, you'll need to keep that in mind.