Thread: design help

Junior SCH Member

design help

Hi guys

I want to use either a Vortech or Procharger to raise the BHP of my engine from 400bhp to 500bhp. The engine is a 4.5lrt AJP V8 in a TVR Cerbera. (google "AJP v8 engine")

My questions are:

1. Will I need around 5psi boost. to achieve 500bhp

2. Will I need an Intercooler at these boost levels.

3. Will I need a bypass valve

4. I want the boost to develop at as low RPM as possible. Can I fit a smaller pulley so it runs up faster then restrict the MAXIMUM boost using either a boost controller or a mechanical restrictor on the Supercharger INLET?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Supercharging a TVR Cerbera sounds like a very interesting project indeed. I don't know of too many supercharged TVRs so it would certainly be a unique vehicle.

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I can help out with number 2.

Assuming that 5psi of boost is all you'll need to achieve your horsepower targets (and to be honest, I can't see that being a problem) an intercooler will prove to be more of a hinderance than a benefit. At boost levels below about 10psi an intercooler will actually cause a reduction in boost pressure because of the increased volume from the intercooler itself as well as all the associated plumbing. In applications where the boost is below 10psi AND where charge cooling is needed, a methanol-water injection system would be the better option. One of our members, speedytang, wrote a two part series of articles on methanol injection. Definitely worth reading. You can find them in the "Charge Cooling Systems" section of the site or just click the link below:

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94

I know that doesn't answer all your questions, but it's a start. Hopefully someone will chime in soon and give their advice.