Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Couple questions SN93 based?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions SN93 based?

SCH Member

Couple questions SN93 based?

I have a polished SN93 i was wondering how can i tell if it was upgraded with the better impeller..The car is apart right now but before i took it off the road i saw like 6 psi at about 4500 or so rpm...Also how do you drain the old ATF ?...how many miles does the oil need to be changed?....Oh yeah im going with a powerpipe from UPR is anyone using one?...did you see any boost increase?...thanks for any help....:)

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    The stock impeller is has straight fins and the upgraded slightley curved.
    On this picture the one installed on the left is the upgraded impeller:

Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Oh and you drain the oil with a suction defice.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    Ok so how much ATF does it hold...so like a suction type of thing to pull the old fluid out?...I dont hae the unit apart so there is no other way of telling if it is upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
    I don't have the unit apart so there is no other way of telling if it is upgraded?
    You don't need to take the unit apart. Just look at the impeller from the intake side of the supercharger (like the one pictured below). If you don't see the curved fin ends, you have the 'standard' impeller (again, like the one below). If the charger is still in the car then you'll have to pull the air filter/air pipe and have a look at the impeller that way (you may need a flashlight depending on how cramped/dark it might be on the intake side of the charger).

Last edited by Michael; 11-10-2009 at 07:08 AM.

SCH Member
    Ok cool the blower is on the car but all the intake tube and discharge tubes are off so im sure i can look right in...so the one you have pictured is the standard one not the Upgraded one right?.....

Quote Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
    Ok cool the blower is on the car but all the intake tube and discharge tubes are off so im sure i can look right in...so the one you have pictured is the standard one not the Upgraded one right?.....
    Yes, the one that's pictured above is the standard impeller.

If you can't see the impeller itself, try feeling around with your fingers. I'm sure you'll be able to tell whether the ends of the vanes are curved or straight just by touch.

SCH Member
    Cool thanks ill check it this week being the car is in the shop and i got to get over there ...lol...I'll post back my results...:)

SCH Member
    Ok i checked the impeller is the stock one...cool tip thanks...:)

Junior SCH Member
    Micheal so just to confirm I to do not know what impellar my GSS has fitted but had a closer lok at it to day and the vanes all had a slight curve on them at the tips so is the the uprater impellar ? As the big picture above looks like even the stock impellar has a slight curve on the vanes ?

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUMPOWER View Post
    Micheal so just to confirm I to do not know what impellar my GSS has fitted but had a closer lok at it to day and the vanes all had a slight curve on them at the tips so is the the uprater impellar ? As the big picture above looks like even the stock impellar has a slight curve on the vanes ?
    You're correct in saying that the stock impeller vanes have a slight curve at their ends, but this curve is very slight. In fact, even in the photos of the stock impeller above the curve are the vane tips is difficult to see. The upgraded impeller vane curves are far more pronounced and should be much easier to identify either visually or by touch.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether your GSS has an upgraded or a stock impeller without a photo. Is there anyway you can post a photo of your GSS' impeller? That would help a great deal.

SCH Member
    I called paradise wheels i wanted to do the VR4 upgrade he said no way you cant run that on the street you need to run alcohol fuel and special tunning...and the blower wont last it will need to be rebuilt like every 300 miles...what in the hell is that place talking about?????? Its an upgrade sure it has more boost but look at the vortech kits those guys are running 10-12 psi on stock motors with a good tune i see guys running 17 psi with those blowers so why cant i do the VR4 upgrade????...Oh yeah not to say he wants like $1400.00 to do the whole job to..i can buy a used paxton or vortech for that much.....i think he might have been drinking that day....

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Some of that does not sound like Craig or any retailer wanting to sell something in this Economy. lol
    Did he even say he had a VR4 kit because he has been out of them for years and keeps saying he will put you on a list.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    Some of that does not sound like Craig or any retailer wanting to sell something in this Economy. lol
    Did he even say he had a VR4 kit because he has been out of them for years and keeps saying he will put you on a list.
    Yeah he said it like 750 for the kit and 650 for labor...I would do it but then he's trying to tell me its an all out race blower cant use it on the street..need special fuel...tuning...blah..blah..blah..i then said could i upgrade my to the better vane he said yeah that would give me like 6-7 psi..he said i was better off doing that then going with the VR4 kit...im confussed now..so bascially my SN93 is no good its only good for 5-6 psi maybe 7....im trying to get my car to be in the 12's now will i even get there???????

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    It takes 30 minutes to install the VR4 parts. You need to shim the drive unit for more pressure but that can be done with shims made out of Soda Cans and about 2 hours of trial and error till you get the ball drag correct.. The complete procedure is on this site. The 'SN' was designed for 5psi to give 75hp to a engine of 305ci or less and not to destroy factory engine parts. A VR4 with fuel and timing components can get you in the 9's and a easy low 11's on the street. I have used a VR4 daily.