Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
best thermostat for power ?

Thread: best thermostat for power ?

SCH Member

best thermostat for power ?

I've been reading up on the debate re best thermostat for power. Many are touting 195 degrees as the best.

Others are saying: " .......... With a nice cool intake charge, and a cool head (combustion chamber/quench area) you can bring in a LOT more timing lead and thus more thoroughly burn the fuel mixture and convert that into energy pushing the piston down vs spewing it out as radiator or exhaust heat.

It's the same principle why high compression engines put out more power and actually have lower exhaust gas temperatures...more of the heat energy is used to push the piston down. In other words, greater efficiency.

High temps are more for emission control and not power potential.

If you want to make HP, cool heads and a cool air-charge is key.........."

with the Paxton adding another dimension to the debate, I'm wondering which way to jump. I want lower lower temperatures to help avoid detonation, but not so low as to promote cylinder wear.

So what are you all using: 195, 180, or 160 degree thermostats ?

??????

Z. Ray

'65 K code

SCH Member
    Im using a 180 T-stat....from what i was told sometimes if you have a good cooling system say bigger radiator good flowing water pump etc...a 190-195 T-stat can work good also..think of it this way it will stay in the radiator longer to allow the antifreeze to cool down before going into the block...i say its trial and era ever motor is different...