Thread: what to do with the sn92

Junior SCH Member

what to do with the sn92

well here my thing. is 5#or 6# psi still a good street blower. with all these newer blowers. is my sn92 still going to give me the power. an prof to hang with these newer blowers... no am not looking to make a drag car but. i just want a good street blower that makes good power. i hate to sell it. becuse its is in really good shape an runs good.
    Last edited by johnnyo; 11-10-2009 at 10:08 PM.

I think the only way to have an SN charger keep up with 'newer' blowers out there is to upgrade it to a VR4. With potential for about 12psi boost a VR4 will provide the kind of power output you're probably looking for, and will do it reliably. In my opinion, for the cost and effort a VR4 upgrade for a car that already has an SN is the most cost effective and easiest option.

SCH Member
    How much is it to do a VR4 upgrade?...And who can do this modification?...is there places out there you can send the blower to...I wouldnt be able to re-build or modify it myself i dont think...lol.....:happy:

VR4 kits aren't very easy to come by. Officially, they haven't been manufactured for a few years, however every once in a while a kit pops up for sale (either here in the classifieds section or on eBay). But that doesn't mean you can't still get one.

I would suggest contacting Paradise Wheels as a start to see if they have any VR4 kits in stock. Paradise Wheels own the rights to the old Paxton ball-drive superchargers so if anyone will have a kit in stock, they will be the ones. You could also try posting a "WTB" in the classified section of this forum too.

As for cost, a VR4 kit is about $800-$1000, but I've seen them go for as low as $750. Like anything, the laws of supply and demand apply, but if someone is desperate to sell their VR4 kit you stand a chance of getting a good deal.

The upgrade itself could be done by Paradise Wheels or any number of supercharger rebuild shops that have experience rebuilding centrifugal superchargers, in particular Paxton ball-drive chargers (ie. CUNDN Racing, etc...). If you went with Paradise Wheels for the VR4 kit AND the modification service, I'm sure you could talk to them about some kind of 'package' deal.

Keep in mind, a VR4 upgrade will more than likely also require some tuning on your part too. Items such as larger injectors, higher capacity fuel pump, ECM tune, etc... will all have to be considered as 'extras' to the price of a VR4 kit; given the significantly higher boost pressures the VR4 is capable of, the demands placed on everything else will also increase significantly.

SCH Member
    Thanks for that great info...My car is an 87 GT vert im doing a build now its going to have GT40 heads..GT40 intake,1.7 roller rockers,i wil have the upgraded fuel system already im going to have 42 lb injectors.90 mm lighting MAF meter 255 lph high pressure fule pump for supercharged applications.it has an areomotive adjustable FPR..a BBK 70 mm TB.. UPR powerpipe...He is also doing a SCT chip with 5 different tunes for the application i have now which is the standard SN93 blower...making 5-6 psi i swear i saw 6 psi at a lower rpm like 4500-4800 rpm...gauge could be off tho..LOL...I wonder what type of RWHP i will make with the 5 pound kit then what type would i make with a 10-12 psi?....

Junior SCH Member
    not sure. but i did talk to craig over at Paradise Wheels he told me for him to do the upgrade i send him the charger $850. i'am sure he said the the kit was $750 an labor was $100 or $150. but he did say the vr4 was more of a drag blower not so much of a good street blower..

If Craig will upgrade an SN to a VR4 for $850, I'd say go for it. For less than $1000 you get twice the boost.

But did Craig give any particular reason why the VR4 is more of a drag blower and not good on the street?