Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
vincenzosaleen

Thread: vincenzosaleen

Junior SCH Member

Smile vincenzosaleen

Hello, ijust registered and glad i did.I see that this site is very informative and need that.I have a 1996 saleen s281 supercharged with a sn93 paxton pusshing out 10 pounds.I have exstensive head work done,including porting,polishing,valve job,valve springs,retainers,slight milling(simply to clean them up)The person who did them is the well renowned ford engine builder(joe lepine)LOOK HIM UP.He has essured me nothing else can be done to these heads and he thinks at least 40-50 horse depending on ap.So after the heads i went out and raced a 1100 gsxr bike and blew 6 ring lands.What was i thinking?lolSo back to joe.Complete rebuild all forged including crank.Balanced and blue printed.Now before the head and motor work at 6 pounds of boost,80 mm mass air,75 mm throttle body with matching intake,30 pound injectors,nology wires,vortech inline pump,and adjustable fuel pressure reg did 281 to the rear with 320 ft pounds.According to paradise wheels,great numbers(i think more like truck numbers)well since then with the heads and rebuild with 10 pounds of boost i went to jenetti racing(total jerk peaople)strickly told him i wanted to be there when he dynoed it.He not only did it without me there,replace my headlights that were in my back seat,But left my pcm hanging out.Total hack.Any ways he dynoed me at less horse and tork.Said i was det and needed a bigger fuel pump.Lossing fuel.Could this be right?I have put so much money and time and cant get anywhere.OH he also sold me the sct chip burner because i explained i wanted to oversee what was going on.Did not come with hand held and charged me 1200 dollars.LIVID I WAS.Since then i have upted the injectors to 42s and put a 255 in pump.I am still det can any one give me some advise?And what should i be doing for numbers?Thanks for the help.ps, almost forgot,i also have a 75 shot of nos to strickly cool down the inlet temps and add a little horse as well.But obviously cant do that with these issues.

Welcome to SCH!

Sounds like you've got one hell of a ride (I've always loved Saleens), although it sucks that you blew 6 rings. Man, you've got a set on you racing a GXer 1100, even with a Saleen...LOL!!!

Unfortunately, fuel systems are not my forte so I won't be able to give much assistance. However, I am going to move your post to the SN section of the site. The moderator, speedytang is our resident expert when it comes to SN boosted mustangs so hopefully he'll be able to provide some direction towards solving your problem.

In the meantime, post some pics or your ride.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    While I don't have an experience with the sct tuner, it looks like it should be able to do what you need it to. You're either going to have to get a wideband and do the tuning yourself or find a better dyno tuner. The sct looks to be able to adjust spark and fuel maps, which is what you need to do to keep your a/f correct. More fuel and less spark. Are you running a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator? Kudos for upgrading injectors/pump. 30# injectors aren't going to flow enough fuel to do much. Also check out the mustang specific forums. Someone there will have first-hand experience with your tuning handheld and be able to tell you how to view your calibration. I'd be interested to see how far the spark is retarding per pound of boost. To know whether enough fuel is getting delivered, the only way to know for sure is to buy your own wideband or get it on a dyno with a wideband. Dyno tuning usually costs a couple hundred bucks, but any good dyno tuner should give you a printout afterwards with hp/torq and a/f ratio across the powerband.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    OK.
    1. You need a Wideband.
    2. The 42lb injectors should solve your lean condition if the fuel pump can keep up.
    3. I don't see how a ported head 281 can even allow the 'SN93' to get even close to 10psi.
    4. What location are you taking the boost reading at. Intake Pipe or at the Supercharger.
    5. No matter how I do the math I can not get even 7.5psi at 6500 rpm spinning the 'SN' at even 55k rpm which is 16k rpm over the units max rpm.
    6. What is your total timing set at and this could also be your detonation problem.
    7. Did your Dyno sheet come with the fuel timing rpm map and if not call the shop and have them email you the data range table.
    8. Post anything from your dyno runs so I can see if it is a fuel or timing issue.

Junior SCH Member
    I know what your saying about the boost reading.Cliff at cundn racing cant believe i am getting 10 pounds but believe it or not, i just tightened up every possible vac leak and my boost gauge reads 10 pounds at about 5000 rpms.Could this be a fluke.Why would the gauge be reading so high?I first bought the sn series from craig 6 years ago and was getting about 5-6.I then went with a smaller pulley and the cooler with the same gauge setup(nothing was changed from it reading 6 pounds)and craig told me when i bought it i should get 5 -6 pounds.So with that said if nothing has been changed why would the gauge read wrong?When i had the larger pulley i never detonated.Know with all the upgrades(you must know from my post)i cant stop it from detonating.They told me at the dyno that they have a base tune on there now but with my experiences with them i do not want to do business there again.I have the sct tuner package but really dont know much about it.Is there a way i could do something with it myself.I am pretty knowledgable when it comes to motors but not computer related issues.I have the original dyno sheet from when it was just in simple form(281 horse and i think 330 torque)but she was running fine then.The last dyno run,i was never givin any sheets.I was just told it was dropping in fuel pressure major.Again thats why i went with the 42s and 255 in tank.Thanks....vince

Junior SCH Member
    I was talking to the owner of a local machine shop and he told me he could machine the input and output of my sn93 blower to make it bigger and smoother(porting).Does anyone think this is possible?Thanks.....

Yes, it's possible, although I don't know how much gain you'll actually get for the cost/effort.

To give you an idea of what this shop will probably do, here's a photo of a ported VR4 (which is the same as the SN chargers but with a larger scroll and revised impeller):

Junior SCH Member
    I think i will just pust myself on the list for the vr4.

Junior SCH Member
    I checked into the porting of the rear scroll and plate and at the time I was given the price of 110 and a gain of 63cfm and 1/2" boost.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I have done a lot of port work and even Extrude Honed a VR4 housing to increase the CFM to slow the boost from hitting so early. 5psi by 1800 rpm was a real problem on the VR4 so I increased the area to slow it down and hand porting did a great job without the expense of like Extrude Honing. I finally got my boost up into the 2500 rpm range so my car could hook on the street. I never really seen a boost increase since the impeller is designed for the area of the housing but it did slow down the early boost problem.