Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New forum member hoping to find fellow inventors' advice...

Thread: New forum member hoping to find fellow inventors' advice...

Junior SCH Member

Question New forum member hoping to find fellow inventors' advice...

Hi all, I'm a long time supercharger user with a lot of time on the track in supercharged/turbocharged cars.

I've got a design that I'm building from scratch to suit my own needs, but I've got no idea of the real-world ability of such a design to create realistic boost. Has anyone ever seen a charger built like a turbine where the blades are replaced with a spiral shaped, linear prop...kind of like a deep auger drill bit?

Imagine that the blade starts with the sections 2" apart, but over the 14" length, before the exit, the spirals get much closer to 1/4" apart? I saw a very, very old design made by Bentley that seemed to work on this principle, but there no information in any of the patent searches I've done.

I'm thinking of something like this. Let me know what the pitfalls are, and if you have any ideas.

Thanks guys!

SCH Member
    I can't say I have personally seen anything quite like it. I am curious as to how exactly it works. Is it designed for EFI? Very interesting, look forward to hearing more about it.

SCH Member
    Actually, I showed this to a couple of guys here and one guy said he had seen something similiar. He is trying to remember more about it. He thought it was on an old truck. If he remembers more about it, I will make sure to post it up.

Junior SCH Member
    Unfortunately you will be better off with some kind of a rotor type design if this is for a vehicle like a car or truck. :teeth:

Junior SCH Member
    Yes, the design is derived from a very old single-screw charger that I saw on a Bentley...but the charge ratio was completely dependent upon the external gears and drive mechanism.

This revision should be considered a high-rotational speed "turbine style" charger as it loads from the head of the prop and feeds through the body until the discharge port ejects the aligned and pressurized air into the intake manifold.

The proven pressure of a design like this is going to be less than a centrifugal charger, but the rotational speed would be far lower as well. Being as the impeller is both blades and chamber, the longevity should be very high as well.

Below is the prop a charge tube, a single unit that should add a bit of pressure while keeping the rotational mass as low as possible for a low boost. The lower image is of the actual flow and ejection paths I propose.

Senior SCH Member
    I am just thinking out loud here but here are the problems you may face. The internal shaft will have to be a casting. A billet piece could be machined but it would be very, very expensive. The other problem is going to be in harmonics and getting it balance correctly for the amount RPM the shaft will be required to rotate to make boost.

The other problem will be clearence between the shaft and the case will need to be pretty tight and accuarate which goes back the above problem of harmonics and balance.

Neat idea but it would take a lot of time, money, and testing to get it close to even working.

Junior SCH Member

Compressor Design Sources.

Have a look at the results of years air compressor design for industrial and aircraft.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    It depends on the cubic size of the open air compressor design but I could see the unit under compression taking as much horsepower it takes to spin the unit as it makes.
    Each of your blades is compressing air which also generates heat and reverse force on the compressor shaft. I could see your design taking more power to run then it could even produce.

SCH Member
    old thread but..... search Latham