Thread: Need some help / advise about MP90 charger on 2.0 engine

Junior SCH Member

Need some help / advise about MP90 charger on 2.0 engine

Hi all!
    I’m Dirk from the Netherlands..
    I have some questions about superchargers..

My project is a Renault Megane coupé 2.0 16v (F7r Williams).

First I had a Eaton supercharger M45. But this supercharger seems to be to tiny for my engine..
    My pulleys are crankshaft 2 – 1 supercharger. My max rpm car is 7300 so the supercharger is max 14600 rpm.

With this setup I got maximum 0,2 bar / 3 psi.

My wish is to get 14-17 psi.

That’s why I bought a new supercharger.
    The Eaton Magna MP90 4th Generation Supercharger. This charger is for 4.0 – 5.7 engines..

Still I’m doubt what it will do on my 2.0 engine. I want high pressure, but is this supercharger good for that? Or is it made for lower pressure?

Somebody who can help / advise me?

Here you can see my project (dutch language):
    http://auto.dirkkuipers.nl
    From page 6 I begin with the first supercharger.

Hope to get some respond.

Regards,
    Dirk.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Hello,
    I first would look at why at 14k rpm the M45 only produced 3psi. I have used the unit on 2.2 liter engines and it produced 8psi at 13k rpm. Now restriction is what gives PSI so in my SOHC engine probably would produce more PSI then your DOHC but that is a great drop. Are you sure your CAM lobe design or your rings are not letting the boost to escape. What location are you taking your boost reading at/from to eliminate the cams and rings. Have you done at Leak-Down test on the engine and what H.P. does the engine produce without the Blower. The M45 should give you at least 35% increase in power and not worry about what PSI since that number cold be 3psi but the unit is producing power as if its 6psi.
    The MP90 will get you 15psi on a 2.0 but you need to deal with if you have a problem that needs resolved first because you might be blowing your power out of the exhaust valves.
    Don't forget at 14k rpm both of these Blowers use about 50hp to rotate. This is why a Turbo is such a better solution for small C.I. engines.