Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gear driven VS-57

Thread: Gear driven VS-57

Junior SCH Member

Gear driven VS-57

Hello all,
    I found this site a few days ago and I have an old VS-57 that has been converted over to gear drive instead of the ball drive. I recieved this supercharger about 15 years ago with a box of parts and some misc. mounts(Thunderbird mount and an old Kiaser mount). I decided to go through it to see what kinda shape it was in and thats when we found it was gear driven. Havnt mounted it on anything yet. From what I was told a gentelman used to use it on an old mustang back in the late 60's. Iam in the process of mounting it on a rat rod that I just built. Hopefully it will stay together.

Junior SCH Member
    Ok finally got the truck on the road, the supercharger is quiet but i keep getting fluid from the supercharger into my carb. where can i get a diagram showing what seal i need. And by the way it really doesnt show much boost. I guess thats ok since its only on there for show anyhow.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    I would love to see any pictures of the unit and also like to know how the balldrive is replaced by gears, I also would like to know what gears and the step up ratio.
    If the rear impellershaft diameter is still stock then you could propably the stock 3 carbon 3 lip rearseal

Number 17 in the picture:

Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    I believe the gears are out of an old ford transmision, its 4:1 ratio.
    Last edited by cappy51; 02-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The original GSS was a Gear Drive in the late 80's in a SN89 housing. Craig a few years back still had the components. You could convert the VR4 using your parts if you had a billet impeller. 60k rpm was not a challenge and either was 20 psi.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Thanks for the pictures.
    It does look home build to me bud could work 100%
    The stock balldrive seal is special 3 lip carbon and around $50 that is becouse of the heat it gets from the balldrive, bud yours could run a lot cooler so maybe a normal seal would be enough ?
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw