Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
intercooler sizing question

Thread: intercooler sizing question

Junior SCH Member

intercooler sizing question

based on some of my measurements, i have 3 options for the size of my Front Mount Intercooler.

I would like to hear your thoughts on which core would flow/cool the best. the size will be custom made bar / plate design. the material, fins/inch, etc.. will be the same between the cores. considering all other factors equal, which size would be best and why?

21x8x6

or

27x8x4

or

27x12x3

any help appreaciated.

thanks,

Mike
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO

Junior SCH Member
    Mike,
    I have always read that cross section is more important that depth both on intercoolers and radiators. I believe its because the air flowing through the intercooler will be heated by boost and when it reaches the next core (If the intercooler has more than one core) it can't pull as much heat out. For example 80 degree ambient air rushes into the first core to cool the 200 degree boost, that ambient air will be heated from the boost and when it gets to the next core it will be ?130? degree air which cannot as effectively cool the 200 degree boost. If this sounds stupid, just ignore me, this is just the way I understand it. I got my intercooler from a dealer in australia. It is 24X12X3 with three inch inlet/outlet and 1 three inch wide core and I got it for $450 new shipped. A spearco in about the same size is over a grand with tanks. A Procharger sheetmetal three core is supposed to be good too. I think its 27X13X3. Make sure and posts some pics of your car as you build it. Ive seen your posts on the blowthrough carb board and am anxious to see you test the enclosure vs. a hat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    77 Procharged + Intercooled Charger Daytona
    Justin