Thread: advice for a possible 383 build

Junior SCH Member

advice for a possible 383 build

I maybe getting a 383 shortblock(10:1) to replace my worn 350. I currently have a sn92 on the 350 but I know the psi drop with the 383. My 3 questions are;

- will the 2-3 psi (guess) make noticeable gains with the new setup since its a higher compression motor?

-would I be better off going N/A and not have the SC putting more load on the crank pulley?

PS, I know the sn is too small and eventually it will be replaced but for the next 3-4 years its not in my budget

I don't think the load on the crank pulley will be much of an issue. Besides, the load won't be any more or less than that experienced if the supercharger was bolted to any other engine.

I think the biggest issue is one you've already touched on and that is the size, or to be more accurate the supercharger's flow rate. The SN is capable of something like 750cfm; a healthy 350 with a TPiS MiniRam intake manifold and a set of ported AFR 195 heads (and a well-matched cam) will easily flow close to 1000cfm. If this same setup was installed on a 383 the flow rate will be even higher. That doesn't mean you won't see any gains with the supercharger, it just means those gains won't be quite as high as if you went with a supercharger with greater airflow and/or psi.

Personally, I would get my hands on an upgraded impeller from either Paradise Wheels or CUNDN Racing, which will give you about a 1.5-2psi gain over the stock impeller, then go ahead and bolt up the SN92 to the 383. Then, once the finances become available, I'd start hunting for a VR4 kit.